Finding the Magnitude of a Vertical Force in a Simple 3D Statics Problem

In summary, the question is asking to determine the magnitude of the vertical force F in N when cable AB is under a tension of 700N. The approach involves breaking down the tensions into x, y, and z components and solving for the unknowns. Using unit vectors and i, j, and k can make the process easier.
Ortix

Homework Statement

If cable AB is subjected to a tension of 700N determine the magnitude of the vertical force F in N.

Pic:
[PLAIN]http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/9823/capturespm.png

Homework Equations

Sum of forces in x y and z direction

The Attempt at a Solution

I am retaking my statics course after i switched majors (long story) and i kind of forgot how to solve this the RIGHT way.

My approach would be first breaking up all the tensions in the x y and z components and summing all of those. I'll end up with 3 equations and 3 unknowns (F, AC and AD). I just feel like that's too much work...

On top of that my book makes use of i j and k but in those problems angles are given (which does make it easier to calculate the components)

Could someone give me a quick rundown on how to solve this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like you're doing it right. You've got the forces broken down, solve for the unknowns. Make sure that you're assuming |AB| to be 700N not anyone component of it.

turns out working with unit vectors and i j and k is much easier! Thanks for the reply though!

1. What is a simple 3D statics problem?

A simple 3D statics problem is a type of problem in physics, specifically within the field of mechanics, that involves analyzing the equilibrium of a 3-dimensional system of objects under the influence of external forces. This type of problem is commonly encountered in engineering and architecture.

2. How is a simple 3D statics problem different from a 2D statics problem?

A simple 3D statics problem involves analyzing the equilibrium of a system in three dimensions, while a 2D statics problem only considers forces and objects in two dimensions. This means that in a 3D problem, there are more variables to consider and the equations used to solve the problem are more complex.

3. What are the key principles used to solve a simple 3D statics problem?

The key principles used to solve a simple 3D statics problem include Newton's laws of motion, the concept of equilibrium, and the application of free body diagrams and vector analysis. These principles help to determine the forces acting on each object in the system and whether the forces are balanced or unbalanced.

4. What are some common applications of simple 3D statics problems?

Simple 3D statics problems have many real-world applications, including determining the stability and structural integrity of buildings, bridges, and other structures. They are also used in analyzing the forces acting on objects in space, such as satellites and spacecraft, and in understanding the mechanics of human movement in sports and biomechanics.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for simple 3D statics problems?

To improve your problem-solving skills for simple 3D statics problems, it is important to have a strong understanding of the key principles and equations involved. Practice solving various types of problems and use diagrams and visual aids to help understand the problem. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or instructor can also be beneficial in mastering this type of problem.