Finding the mass of a screw lab.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the mass of a single screw by subtracting the masses of cups and using equations to solve for the mass of one cup and one screw. However, with the given information, it is not possible to determine the mass of a single screw as there are infinite solutions.
jayjay713
I have been given the masses of 5 cups, each with a different amount of screws inside. I am asked to find the mass of a single screw.

The cups themselves are all equal in mass and the screws are all equal in mass as well.

I know you are supposed to subtract the cups from each other to eliminate the mass of the cups and just get the screws masses. I am stuck and I can't seem to grasp the concept of how to solve this! Thanks for help.

Physics news on Phys.org
set the mass of one cup to x and mass of one screw to y
and solve for x and y using quadratic equation/elimination method/substitution method

would all the equations be equal to the same value? say a cup was 26.7 grams, what would the equation be?

you would have to give me all the info in the question for me to make an equation

bottle 1 = 28.70g
bottle 2 = 32.20g
bottle 3 = 37.60g
bottle 4 = 45.80g
bottle 5 = 60.50g

Last edited:
I am sorry but I can't really come up with an answer
It would just have infinite solutions with those assumptions you gave me

all I can say is that subtract the masses to get rid of the mass of cup, and find the common factor (but then it is a decimal in this case)
the mass of screw cannot be bigger than the common factor

1. What is the purpose of finding the mass of a screw in a lab?

The purpose of finding the mass of a screw in a lab is to determine the weight of the screw, which is an important factor in many experiments and engineering applications. Knowing the mass of a screw can help in determining its strength, size, and other physical properties.

2. How do you measure the mass of a screw in a lab?

The mass of a screw can be measured using a balance or scale. The screw is placed on the balance and the weight is recorded in grams or kilograms. This measurement is then used to calculate the mass of the screw.

3. What are the tools needed for a "Finding the mass of a screw" lab?

The tools needed for this lab include a screw, a balance or scale, and a container to hold the screw. It is also helpful to have a ruler or caliper to measure the dimensions of the screw.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of measuring the mass of a screw in a lab?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of measuring the mass of a screw in a lab include the precision of the balance or scale, the condition of the screw (e.g. rust, dirt), and the skill of the person conducting the measurement. It is important to calibrate the equipment and handle the screw carefully to ensure accurate results.

5. Can the mass of a screw change over time?

In most cases, the mass of a screw will not change over time. However, factors such as rust or wear and tear can affect the weight of the screw. In experiments, the mass of a screw may also change if it is subjected to different forces or environments.