Finding the Max Distance Between Walkers: Exploring the Equations

• Thread starter ufotofu906
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Max
In summary, the two walkers start at the same time and place, traveling in the same direction with different velocities. They reach the same velocity at some point and continue until their velocities are equal. To find the greatest distance between the two walkers, we take the integral of the difference in their velocities and evaluate it at different points. The critical points are found to be t = 0 and t = 1.60944, with the maximum distance occurring at t = 1.60944. This can be explained by considering the real life scenario of two walkers walking at different speeds and eventually reaching the same speed at the end of their walk, resulting in the greatest distance between them. The exact solution can also be found by solving the equation algebra
ufotofu906

Homework Statement

Two walkers start at the same time from the same place and travel in the same direction with velocities given by
A(t) = 1 - e-t miles per minute and B(t) = 0.2(et - 1) miles per minute and t > 0. They travel until they have the same velocity.

At what time is the distance between them the greatest? Explain your reasoning.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int[/tex] (1 - e-t) - [tex]\int[/tex] 0.2(et - 1)

^^^both integrals are from 0 to t.

That was the expression I came up with to find the distance between the walkers but I don't know what to do with it to find the greatest distance. I tried finding the maximum and minimum of the graphs but that didn't really do anything for me. So basically, I'm pretty much clueless right now. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org

You're pretty close. Find the distance between the two walkers which is the integral you have. Evaluate that for some t. Then you can differentiate and set to zero to find the maximum.

Alright, so I'm not sure if I'm reading what you wrote correctly but basically i had

(1 - e-t) - 0.2(et - 1) = 0

to find the critical points.

I get t = 0 and t = 1.60944.

So I'm guessing it's at t = 1.60944?

Yes, but you can solve it algebraically. It is essentially a quadratic in et once you multiply through by et.

Can you reason why the greatest distance between them is when their velocities are equal at the end?

I used the first derivative test and at t = 1.5 got a positive result and at t = 1.7 got a negative one so that means at t = 1.60944 there is a maximum on the original function. Do you think that's enough to show why the greatest distance between the two walkers is at t = 1.60944?

No, showing it is a maximum by using the derivative test or taking the second derivative is common protocol. When it asks to explain your reasoning, it means you need to think of this question as a real life problem (which is why they used walkers in the question) and answer it using common sense with some reference to the math.

Also, can you find the exact answer rather than a numerical solution?

Uhh, is it because they have the greatest distance when both their velocities are the same because Person A had traveled at a higher velocity than Person B and thus traveled a greater distance that added up the most at the end of their walk?

1. What is the purpose of exploring the equations for finding the maximum distance between walkers?

The purpose of exploring the equations for finding the maximum distance between walkers is to understand the factors that affect the distance between two moving objects. This knowledge can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and biology.

2. What are the main variables in the equations for finding the maximum distance between walkers?

The main variables in the equations for finding the maximum distance between walkers are the initial positions, velocities, and accelerations of the two walkers. Other factors such as time and any external forces may also play a role.

3. How do the equations for finding the maximum distance between walkers differ from traditional distance equations?

The equations for finding the maximum distance between walkers take into account the motion of both walkers and their initial positions. Traditional distance equations typically only consider the distance between two stationary objects or a moving object and a stationary point.

4. Can the equations for finding the maximum distance between walkers be applied to any type of movement?

Yes, the equations for finding the maximum distance between walkers can be applied to any type of movement as long as the initial positions, velocities, and accelerations are known. This includes linear, circular, and projectile motion.

5. How can the equations for finding the maximum distance between walkers be used in practical applications?

The equations for finding the maximum distance between walkers can be used in various practical applications such as calculating the maximum distance a projectile can travel, determining the optimal distance between two moving objects in a production line, or predicting the behavior of moving organisms in biology.