Discovering the Minimum Value of Tan(x^2+2x) without a Calculator

• Thread starter Punkyc7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the minimum value of the function tan(x^2+2x) without using a calculator and determining the appropriate interval. It is suggested to use Calculus, specifically the derivative of the function. The conversation also mentions that there is no absolute minimum, but there is one relative minimum that can be found using the derivative. The correct derivative is provided as sec^2(x^2+2x)*(2x+2).
Punkyc7
Find where the min value will occur of tan(x^2+2x)

is there a way to do this without a calculator because I can't seem to figure it out without it. Also I'm not sure what the interval should be.

Physics news on Phys.org
Punkyc7 said:
Find where the min value will occur of tan(x^2+2x)

is there a way to do this without a calculator because I can't seem to figure it out without it. Also I'm not sure what the interval should be.

There's always Calculus!

What's the derivative of tan(x2+2x) ?

BTW: There is no absolute minimum.

There is one relative minimum which can be easily found using the derivative.

sec^2(x^2+2x)*(2x+2)... I got it now. Thanks, I was messing up my line check.

Related to Discovering the Minimum Value of Tan(x^2+2x) without a Calculator

1. What is the purpose of finding the minimum value in a dataset?

The purpose of finding the minimum value in a dataset is to identify the smallest or lowest value within the data. This can be useful for various purposes, such as comparing values, identifying outliers, or understanding the range of the data.

2. How do you find the minimum value in a dataset?

To find the minimum value in a dataset, you can use various statistical methods such as sorting the data in ascending order and selecting the first value, using the MIN function in spreadsheets, or using programming languages to iterate through the data and identify the smallest value.

3. Can the minimum value change if new data is added to the dataset?

Yes, the minimum value can change if new data is added to the dataset. This is because the minimum value is dependent on the values within the dataset, and adding new data can potentially change the range of values and therefore affect the minimum value.

4. What is the difference between the minimum value and the average value?

The minimum value is the smallest value in a dataset, while the average value is the sum of all values divided by the number of values in the dataset. The average value gives a measure of the central tendency of the data, while the minimum value provides information about the smallest value in the dataset.

5. How can the minimum value be used in data analysis?

The minimum value can be used in data analysis in many ways. It can help identify outliers or extreme values, determine the range of the data, and compare values between different datasets. It can also be used in conjunction with other statistical measures, such as the maximum value and the average value, to gain a better understanding of the dataset.