Finding the perpendicular distance in this moments question

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the length of a normal line perpendicular to force Fb. Some hints are given, including extending the dotted line of FB and considering the relationship between line AC and the line of action of the force. Eventually, the distance from C to BF is determined to be 1.414m, and the moment is calculated to be 70.7Nm.
Bolter
Homework Statement
See below
Relevant Equations
moment = force x perp dist
I have tried this question but can't get my head around to doing part b)

Screenshot 2020-10-18 at 15.30.36.png

This is the sketch I have drawn and I'm guessing 'x' is the distance that I have to fine that's perpendicular to force Fb, though I'm not sure if I have set it up correctly?

IMG_5380.JPG

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Extend the dotted line of FB down and to the left. Drop a normal to this line starting at point A. Determine the length of this normal line.

Distance "x" of your drawing is not the one required to find.

Also, note that the angles of section AC and force Fb are the same.
A 45-degree inclined distance of 2 m separates both lines.
A perpendicular distance between those lines would be...

Likes Bolter
Chestermiller said:
Extend the dotted line of FB down and to the left. Drop a normal to this line starting at point A. Determine the length of this normal line.
Lnewqban said:
Distance "x" of your drawing is not the one required to find.

Also, note that the angles of section AC and force Fb are the same.
A 45-degree inclined distance of 2 m separates both lines.
A perpendicular distance between those lines would be...

I redrew the diagram and and labelled the new perpendicular distance I have to find, however I don't think I have enough info in the question to be able to work out this distance unless I'm missing something?

IMG_5382.JPG

Bolter said:
I redrew the diagram and and labelled the new perpendicular distance I have to find, however I don't think I have enough info in the question to be able to work out this distance unless I'm missing something?

View attachment 271134
There is enough info. It might be more obvious if you show point C and consider the relationship between the line AC and the line of action of the force.

haruspex said:
There is enough info. It might be more obvious if you show point C and consider the relationship between the line AC and the line of action of the force.

I tried including line AC in my diagram but I don't see how it'd help me find any angles or lengths.
I thought I could somehow use Pythagoras theorem to the right angle triangle ABF (in my diagram) where I know AB is sqrt(10) but I still have 2 unknown sides so that won't work

IMG_5383.JPG

Bolter said:
I tried including line AC in my diagram but I don't see how it'd help me find any angles or lengths.
I thought I could somehow use Pythagoras theorem to the right angle triangle ABF (in my diagram) where I know AB is sqrt(10) but I still have 2 unknown sides so that won't work

View attachment 271140
What is the distance from C to BF? This is what @Lnewqban was hinting at in post #3.

haruspex said:
What is the distance from C to BF? This is what @Lnewqban was hinting at in post #3.

By that do you mean the perpendicular distance from C to BF which is equivalent to length AF as they are parallel to each other?

EDIT: Ok I got distance from C to BF to be 1.414m and assuming that's equal to AF then AF = 1.414m
hence moment is 1.414m * 50N = 70.7Nm

Last edited:
Bolter said:
By that do you mean the perpendicular distance from C to BF which is equivalent to length AF as they are parallel to each other?

EDIT: Ok I got distance from C to BF to be 1.414m and assuming that's equal to AF then AF = 1.414m
hence moment is 1.414m * 50N = 70.7Nm
Right.

Likes Bolter

What is the definition of perpendicular distance?

The perpendicular distance is the shortest distance between a point and a line or plane that is perpendicular (at a 90 degree angle) to the line or plane.

How do you find the perpendicular distance in a moments question?

To find the perpendicular distance in a moments question, you can use the formula d = |ax + by + c| / √(a^2 + b^2), where a and b are the coefficients of the variables in the equation of the line or plane, and c is the constant term.

Can the perpendicular distance be negative?

Yes, the perpendicular distance can be negative. This indicates that the point is on the opposite side of the line or plane from the origin.

What is the significance of finding the perpendicular distance in a moments question?

Finding the perpendicular distance in a moments question is important in determining the moment of a force about a given point. It helps in calculating the torque or turning effect of the force, which is crucial in many engineering and physics problems.

Are there any real-life applications of finding the perpendicular distance?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of finding the perpendicular distance, such as in calculating the stability of structures, determining the center of gravity of an object, and calculating the moment of inertia in rotating systems.