Finding the Range of Graphs: f(x) = ex2 and g(x) = x2 + 3ex2

In summary, the task is to find the range of f(x) = ex2. The student is unsure of how to approach this without drawing the graph. For g(x) = x2 + 3ex2, the student also does not know how to find the range without a graph. The attempt at a solution involved differentiating f(x) and finding the minimum point at x=0, but the correct answer is f(x) ≥1. The student then realizes their mistake and finds the correct x-value for the minimum point.
jsmith613

Homework Statement

f(x) = ex2
find the range of f(x)
How do I do this - I don't know how to draw this graph?g(x) = x2 + 3ex2
Again, how is this done without drawing the graph?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so for the first graph, for example, I differentiated it
dy/dx for f(x) = 2xex2
Giving a min. point of 0
BUT THE ANSWER IS f(x) ≥1
Why does the min point method not work?

Physics news on Phys.org
oh of course, I found the x-value that gives the min. point
so I sub this into the original equation
never mind :)

Related to Finding the Range of Graphs: f(x) = ex2 and g(x) = x2 + 3ex2

1. What is the range of f(x) = ex2 and g(x) = x2 + 3ex2?

The range of a function refers to the set of all possible output values. In this case, the range of f(x) is all real numbers greater than or equal to 0, since the exponential function always produces a positive output. The range of g(x) is the same, as the added term of 3ex2 does not affect the overall shape of the graph or the range.

2. How do you find the maximum value of these functions?

To find the maximum value of a function, we can use the first derivative test. First, we take the derivative of the function and set it equal to 0. Then, we solve for x to find the critical points. Next, we plug these values into the second derivative to determine if they correspond to a maximum or minimum. Finally, we can use these critical points to find the corresponding y-values, which will be the maximum values in this case.

3. Are there any restrictions on the input values for these functions?

For both of these functions, there are no restrictions on the input values. This means that they can take on any real number as an input and produce a corresponding output. However, it is important to note that as the input values become very large, the outputs will also become very large, so the functions may not be well-defined for extremely large inputs.

4. How do the ranges of these functions compare to each other?

Since both functions involve the same exponential term, they have the same range. This means that the ranges of f(x) and g(x) are equal, and both functions have a range of all real numbers greater than or equal to 0.

5. Can these functions have negative output values?

No, neither of these functions can produce a negative output. The exponential function always produces a positive output, and the added term in g(x) does not change this. Therefore, the range of both functions is limited to only positive values.