Finding the Required Force for a Block on a Wedge

In summary, to keep the block at a constant height above the tabletop, the magnitude of force applied must be equal to the product of the mass of the block (M+M) and the coefficient of friction (F).
coppersauce

Homework Statement

A wedge with mass M rests on a frictionless horizontal tabletop. A block with mass m is placed on the wedge and a horizontal force F is applied to the wedge. What must the magnitude of F be if the block is to remain at a constant height above the tabletop?

Homework Equations

F=ma of course...
Ffriction = coefficient * normal

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the final answer is (M+m)g tan(theta). This is a practice homework so we were given the answer but no work going up to it

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi coppersauce, welcome to PF.
When you apply force F to the system, the acceleration of the system is
a = F/(ma + Mb)...(1). It is parallel to the ground.
Since block A is not attached to the block B, due the inertia, it will experience an equal and opposite acceleration. The block A will remain rest when component of the weight of the block A balances the component of the acceleration.
Equate these components and find a. Put this value in equation(1) to get F.

rl.bhat said:
Hi coppersauce, welcome to PF.
When you apply force F to the system, the acceleration of the system is
a = F/(ma + Mb)...(1). It is parallel to the ground.
Since block A is not attached to the block B, due the inertia, it will experience an equal and opposite acceleration. The block A will remain rest when component of the weight of the block A balances the component of the acceleration.
Equate these components and find a. Put this value in equation(1) to get F.

Trying to figure it out =/ that's about as far as I originally made it. You know the force on the system has to be ma, so since mass is (m+M), the acceleration of the system is a = F/(m+M). Now I assume since the acceleration is moving forward, the block on top of the wedge would have to move backwards (the reason you stated) with some force, and then the pull of gravity sliding it down would have to cancel that out in order for it to remain at the same height. Now I took Physics too long ago to remember some of the basic things =/ as in does the block on top move backwards with the same force applied to the whole system (and thus has a y component of F(sin(theta))? this is where I'm getting confused) and I also forget the force at which gravity pulls down the block... would it be g(sin(theta)) or g*m*sin theta? Bleh I don't remember any of this from Freshman year of high school I'm embarrassed.

I have a general understanding of the problem I just forget equations/specifics...

I was being a little silly on the gravity pull part :/ I was thinking in terms of acceleration not in terms of Force (which obv. would have m =/ ). I just haven't done this in so long things are coming back to me.

Component g along the wedge is g*sinθ.
Since block and the wedge move together, the acceleration of the whole system is the acceleration of the block in the opposite direction. Its component along the wedge is a*cosθ and is in the opposite direction to g*sinθ.
For equilibrium of the block g*sinθ = a*cosθ.
Find a and equate it to F/(m+M) to find F.

Sigh that's so easy... I wish I had a textbook ;( thank you

Related to Finding the Required Force for a Block on a Wedge

What is a basic block on wedge problem?

A basic block on wedge problem is a physics problem that involves a block resting on top of a wedge or ramp. The block and wedge are usually at an angle, and the problem requires finding the forces and accelerations acting on the block.

What are the key concepts involved in a basic block on wedge problem?

The key concepts involved in a basic block on wedge problem are Newton's laws of motion, vector components, friction, and equilibrium. These concepts help in understanding and solving the problem by analyzing the forces and accelerations acting on the block.

How do you approach solving a basic block on wedge problem?

To solve a basic block on wedge problem, it is important to first draw a free-body diagram of the block and wedge. Then, apply Newton's laws of motion and break down the forces into their components. Finally, use equations of motion and basic trigonometry to solve for the unknown quantities.

What are some common mistakes made when solving a basic block on wedge problem?

Some common mistakes that are made when solving a basic block on wedge problem include forgetting to consider all the forces acting on the block, not breaking down the forces into their components, and using the wrong equations or incorrect values for the forces or angles.

What are some real-life applications of a basic block on wedge problem?

A basic block on wedge problem has many real-life applications, such as analyzing the forces acting on a car driving up a ramp, determining the forces needed to push a heavy object up an inclined plane, and understanding the mechanics of a seesaw or playground slide.