What Temperature Triples the RMS Speed of an Ideal Gas?

• Thread starter nickb145
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean Root
In summary, at a temperature of 288K, an ideal gas has an rms speed of vrms. The relationship between rms speed and temperature for an ideal gas is T=(mv2)/Kb, where P=(NmV2)/3V and PV=NkbT are relevant equations. When the rms speed is tripled, the temperature is also tripled according to the equipartition principle.
nickb145

Homework Statement

An ideal gas has rms speed vrms at a temperature of 288K .

At what temperature is the rms speed tripled?

Homework Equations

P=(NmV2)/3V

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm kind of stumped on this one. Other ones I've done are pretty simple to figure out, but the temperature is what is kicking me

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the mathematical relationship between rms speed and temperature for an ideal gas? That would be a relevant equation here.

cepheid said:
What is the mathematical relationship between rms speed and temperature for an ideal gas? That would be a relevant equation here.

Ok so the ideal gas equation is PV=NkbT

Since i see pressure there i divided the volume so i can get P=(NkbT)/v

I set the 2 equations equal to each other and simplified to get T=(mv2)/Kb

if that makes any sense.

in the butt.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of root mean squared (rms) speed in an ideal gas. The rms speed is a measure of the average speed of gas molecules in a system, and it is related to the temperature of the gas through the formula vrms=√(3kT/m), where k is the Boltzmann constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and m is the mass of the gas molecules.

In this problem, we are given the initial temperature of 288K and asked to find the temperature at which the rms speed is tripled. To solve this, we can set up a ratio between the rms speeds at the two temperatures. We know that the rms speed is directly proportional to the square root of the temperature, so we can set up the following equation:

vrms1/vrms2 = √(T1/T2)

Where vrms1 is the initial rms speed at 288K, vrms2 is the final rms speed at the unknown temperature, T1 is the initial temperature of 288K, and T2 is the final temperature we are trying to find.

Since we want to find the temperature at which the rms speed is tripled, we can set the ratio equal to 3 (since tripled is the same as 3 times the initial value):

3 = √(288/T2)

Solving for T2, we get T2 = (288/9) = 32K.

Therefore, the temperature at which the rms speed is tripled is 32K. This may seem counterintuitive since it is a very low temperature, but it is important to remember that the rms speed is directly proportional to the square root of the temperature. So even though the temperature is much lower, the square root of that temperature is higher, resulting in a tripled rms speed.

1. What is the root mean squared (RMS)?

The root mean squared, also known as the quadratic mean, is a statistical measure used to find the average of a set of values. It is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squared values divided by the total number of values in the set.

2. Why is the root mean squared important?

The root mean squared is important because it provides a more accurate representation of a set of values compared to other measures like the arithmetic mean. It takes into account the magnitude of each value in the set, making it a more reliable measure of central tendency.

3. How is the root mean squared used in science?

The root mean squared is commonly used in science to analyze and compare data sets, particularly in fields such as physics and engineering. It is also used in error analysis to determine the accuracy of measurements and in regression analysis to evaluate the fit of a line to a set of data points.

4. What is the difference between root mean squared and standard deviation?

Root mean squared and standard deviation are both measures of variability in a set of data. However, the root mean squared considers the squared values of the data, while the standard deviation considers the absolute values. Additionally, the root mean squared is used to compare the average magnitude of a set of values, while the standard deviation is used to measure the spread of the values from the mean.

5. How is the root mean squared calculated?

The root mean squared is calculated by first finding the sum of the squared values in the set. This sum is then divided by the total number of values in the set. Finally, the square root of this quotient is taken to find the root mean squared.