Finding the unit normal of a vector field

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the unit normal of a vector field and the meaning of d sigma = dxdy. It is explained that n = k when the curve is parallel to the xy plane, and that d sigma refers to the differential of area and can be calculated using the formula d sigma = dxdy.
robertjford80
I'm on the last chapter of a 1200 page calc book, I'm really psyched.

Homework Statement

Screenshot2012-05-31at41711AM.png

Screenshot2012-05-31at41418AM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

The method I learned for finding the unit normal of a vector field, n, is take the derivative of the equation and divide that by the magnitude of the derivative. This technique works for questions 3 and 4 above, but for 1,2 and 5, the solution manual just says n = k. I can't figure out why n = k. What are they talking about?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I also need to know what d sigma = dxdy means.

robertjford80 said:
I also need to know what d sigma = dxdy means.

dσ=dx dy simply means that the differential of area is equal to the differential of x multiplied by the differential of y.

robertjford80 said:
I'm on the last chapter of a 1200 page calc book, I'm really psyched.

Homework Statement

Screenshot2012-05-31at41711AM.png

Screenshot2012-05-31at41418AM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

The method I learned for finding the unit normal of a vector field, n, is take the derivative of the equation and divide that by the magnitude of the derivative. This technique works for questions 3 and 4 above, but for 1,2 and 5, the solution manual just says n = k. I can't figure out why n = k. What are they talking about?

Because the curve is parallel to the xy plane.

robertjford80 said:

[itex]\hat n = \vec k[/itex] means that the unit normal vector is parallel to the z-axis, in this case, it is in the vertically upward direction.

what about d sigma?

how do you find n if the curve is parallel to the xy plane, does it just equal k?

robertjford80 said:
how do you find n if the curve is parallel to the xy plane, does it just equal k?

Yes.

robertjford80 said:
what about d sigma?

d sigma is dx dy.

sharks said:
[itex]\hat n = \vec k[/itex] means that the unit normal vector is parallel to the z-axis, in this case, it is in the vertically upward direction.

Or in other words, the curve is parallel to the xy plane.

robertjford80 said:

n could be k or -k, depending on the orientation of the surface. n is the outward unit normal vector, and if the problem states "counterclockwise from above" then n is pointing upward, otherwise if it states ""counterclockwise from below"" then n = -k. If the surface lies in any plane (x=0, y=0 or z=0), then there are only 2 possible orientations for n, without any need for calculations, as you can deduce n directly.

If the surface lies in:
plane z=0, n is either k or -k
plane y=0, n is either j or -j
plane x=0, n is either i or -i

In all 3 cases, the positive value denotes moving along the positive direction parallel the respective axis, and similarly the negative value denotes moving in the negative direction parallel to the axis.

Last edited:
sharks said:
n could be k or -k, depending on the orientation of the surface. n is the outward unit normal vector, and if the problem states "counterclockwise from above" then n is pointing upward, otherwise if it states ""counterclockwise from below"" then n = -k. If the surface lies in any plane (x=0, y=0 or z=0), then there are only 2 possible orientations for n, without any need for calculations, as you can deduce n directly.

If the surface lies in:
plane z=0, n is either k or -k
plane y=0, n is either j or -j
plane x=0, n is either i or -i

In all 3 cases, the positive value denotes moving along the positive direction parallel the respective axis, and similarly the negative value denotes moving in the negative direction parallel to the axis.

The OP said that the problem says n=k, so n is just k.

dimension10 said:
d sigma is dx dy.

but what does d sigma refer to? how do you calculate it? what does it mean?

##d\sigma## refers to the differential area, which when expressed in terms of Cartesian coordinates, converts to dxdy, as you are projecting the surface onto the x-y plane.

robertjford80 said:
but what does d sigma refer to? how do you calculate it? what does it mean?

As sharks has said, it is the differential of area.

[tex]{\rm{d}}\sigma = \left\| {\frac{{\partial \vec r}}{{\partial s}} \times \frac{{\partial \vec r}}{{\partial t}}} \right\|{\rm{d}}s{\rm{ d}}t[/tex]

In your case, [itex]\left\| {\frac{{\partial \vec r}}{{\partial s}} \times \frac{{\partial \vec r}}{{\partial t}}} \right\| = 1[/itex] and ##s=x,t=y##

1. What is a unit normal vector?

A unit normal vector is a vector that is perpendicular to a given vector or surface and has a length of 1 unit. It is often used in mathematics and physics to calculate the direction and orientation of a vector or surface.

2. Why is finding the unit normal of a vector field important?

Finding the unit normal of a vector field is important because it allows us to determine the direction and orientation of the vectors in the field. This information is crucial in many applications, such as calculating the flow of fluids or the curvature of a surface.

3. How do you find the unit normal of a vector field?

To find the unit normal of a vector field, you first need to calculate the gradient of the field. Then, you can use this gradient to determine the direction and orientation of the vectors in the field. Finally, you can normalize the gradient to obtain a unit vector that represents the unit normal of the vector field.

4. Can the unit normal of a vector field change at different points?

Yes, the unit normal of a vector field can change at different points. This is because the direction and orientation of the vectors in the field can vary depending on the location. Therefore, the unit normal vector will also change to reflect these differences.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding the unit normal of a vector field?

Some real-world applications of finding the unit normal of a vector field include fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and computer graphics. For example, in fluid dynamics, the unit normal vector is used to calculate the flow of fluids around objects. In computer graphics, it is used to determine the lighting and shading of 3D objects.