1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the unit normal of a vector field

1. May 31, 2012 #1
    I'm on the last chapter of a 1200 page calc book, I'm really psyched.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Screenshot2012-05-31at41711AM.png

Screenshot2012-05-31at41418AM.png

3. The attempt at a solution

The method I learned for finding the unit normal of a vector field, n, is take the derivative of the equation and divide that by the magnitude of the derivative. This technique works for questions 3 and 4 above, but for 1,2 and 5, the solution manual just says n = k. I can't figure out why n = k. What are they talking about?

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2012 #2
    I also need to know what d sigma = dxdy means.

4. May 31, 2012 #3
    dσ=dx dy simply means that the differential of area is equal to the differential of x multiplied by the differential of y.

5. May 31, 2012 #4
    Because the curve is parallel to the xy plane.

6. May 31, 2012 #5

sharks

Gold Member

[itex]\hat n = \vec k[/itex] means that the unit normal vector is parallel to the z-axis, in this case, it is in the vertically upward direction.

7. May 31, 2012 #6
    what about d sigma?

how do you find n if the curve is parallel to the xy plane, does it just equal k?

8. May 31, 2012 #7
    Yes.

9. May 31, 2012 #8
    d sigma is dx dy.

10. May 31, 2012 #9
    Or in other words, the curve is parallel to the xy plane.

11. May 31, 2012 #10

sharks

Gold Member

n could be k or -k, depending on the orientation of the surface. n is the outward unit normal vector, and if the problem states "counterclockwise from above" then n is pointing upward, otherwise if it states ""counterclockwise from below"" then n = -k. If the surface lies in any plane (x=0, y=0 or z=0), then there are only 2 possible orientations for n, without any need for calculations, as you can deduce n directly.

If the surface lies in:
    plane z=0, n is either k or -k
    plane y=0, n is either j or -j
    plane x=0, n is either i or -i

In all 3 cases, the positive value denotes moving along the positive direction parallel the respective axis, and similarly the negative value denotes moving in the negative direction parallel to the axis.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  12. May 31, 2012 #11
    The OP said that the problem says n=k, so n is just k.

13. May 31, 2012 #12
    but what does d sigma refer to? how do you calculate it? what does it mean?

14. May 31, 2012 #13

sharks

Gold Member

##d\sigma## refers to the differential area, which when expressed in terms of Cartesian coordinates, converts to dxdy, as you are projecting the surface onto the x-y plane.

15. May 31, 2012 #14
    As sharks has said, it is the differential of area.

[tex]{\rm{d}}\sigma = \left\| {\frac{{\partial \vec r}}{{\partial s}} \times \frac{{\partial \vec r}}{{\partial t}}} \right\|{\rm{d}}s{\rm{ d}}t[/tex]

In your case, [itex]\left\| {\frac{{\partial \vec r}}{{\partial s}} \times \frac{{\partial \vec r}}{{\partial t}}} \right\| = 1[/itex] and ##s=x,t=y##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook