Calculating Vertical Velocity from Projectile Motion Data

In summary, the student threw a water balloon up and found its vertical velocity using the equation y=u+(9.8m/s^2)(2.81s).
Dejahboi

Homework Statement

Alright we had a lab and we threw water balloons off the college's stadium to determine the height.In result the I got 9.2m from an average of 1.37sec using y=1/2gt^2

Okay, this is where i get confused to use the right equation to determine vertical velocity.

Homework Equations

y=Yo+Vot+1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I did v=u+(9.8m/s^2)(2.81) to find the velocity. Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Dejahbol, http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif
Dejahboi said:
Alright we had a lab and we threw water balloons off the college's stadium to determine the height.In result the I got 9.2m from an average of 1.37sec using y=1/2gt^2
You threw them? Or dropped them? Is 9.2m about right?
Okay, this is where i get confused to use the right equation to determine vertical velocity. [...]

I did v=u+(9.8m/s^2)(2.81) to find the velocity. Is that right?
I'm confused, too, because it's not clear whether you are trying to find u or v. Which?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry i wasn't very elaborate on my information. The estimate height dropping the balloon at rest is 9.2 m. That was based on the average time of 1.37 seconds. For the second part of the lab we were given the choice to throw them down or up, and we decided with our group to throw it up and took 2.81 seconds to hit the ground. The question asks "Using the height of the building, find the vertical velocity with which you threw the balloon."

And thanks for the welcome :)edit: I wasn't sure which kinematic equation to use for this particular part of lab.

Dejahboi said:
For the second part of the lab we were given the choice to throw them down or up, and we decided with our group to throw it up and took 2.81 seconds to hit the ground. The question asks "Using the height of the building, find the vertical velocity with which you threw the balloon."
You need an equation involving u as the only unknown, e.g., s = ut + ½at²

(You'd be seeking initial velocity, u)

So I end up doing this:

9.2m-(1/2)(9.8m/s^2)(1.37s)2
/(1.37s)

= 2.3x10^-3... i think i did something wrong lol.

I've drawn it out for you below.

Granted you threw the balloons straight forward as Vo and let them fall rather than launch them up and then down which would be an entirely different question. I've also solved it based on the premise that the information you gave in the OP is accurate so take a look.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2wp8nds.jpg

Wait i need vertical velocity :/. I got that part down and thanks for helping ;)

Dejahboi said:
So I end up doing this:

9.2m-(1/2)(9.8m/s^2)(1.37s)2
/(1.37s)

= 2.3x10^-3... i think i did something wrong lol.
If it spent 2.81 secs in the air, why are you using 1.37 in the formula? :confused:

didn't he say it spent 1.37 in the air?

a bit confused now

Thanks. I plugged in the wrong values... *sigh* 2.31. Sorry it's like 2 am and I've been up all day.

1. What is the definition of vertical velocity?

Vertical velocity refers to the speed of an object in the vertical direction, or the rate at which it is moving up or down.

2. How is vertical velocity different from horizontal velocity?

Vertical velocity and horizontal velocity are two components of overall velocity, with vertical velocity representing movement in the up or down direction and horizontal velocity representing movement in the left or right direction.

3. What is the formula for finding vertical velocity?

The formula for finding vertical velocity is v = u + at, where v is the final vertical velocity, u is the initial vertical velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity (usually -9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time interval.

4. How is vertical velocity affected by air resistance?

Air resistance can affect an object's vertical velocity by slowing it down or speeding it up. For example, if an object is falling, air resistance will act in the opposite direction of gravity, slowing down the object's descent and reducing its vertical velocity.

5. Can vertical velocity be negative?

Yes, vertical velocity can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving downwards or in the negative direction. However, if a positive direction is established, such as up, then negative vertical velocity would indicate movement in the opposite direction.