Finding the voltage at a radius of a cylinder

In summary, the problem involves finding the potential difference between two points on a cylinder, with the given equation Vab = ∫ E*dr. The student is unsure of the limits of integration for part (b), and notes that using the limits of "R" to "2R" or "2R" to "3R" results in different calculations. The problem is asking for the voltage between points at r = R and r = 2R.
Blockade

Homework Statement

cb57d2c60a.jpg

Homework Equations

Vab = ∫ E*dr

The Attempt at a Solution

9974a6964b.jpg
[/B]

For part (b) I am not sure if I should set the upper and lower bound of the integral from "R" to "2R" or "2R" to "3R". If done so, this would give me V2R = Vab * ln|3R/2R| / ln |3| instead of what is on the image.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is asking you to find the potential difference (i.e. voltage) between a point on the inner cylinder at r = R and a point at r = 2R. What do you think the limits of integration ought to be?

What is the formula for finding the voltage at a radius of a cylinder?

The formula for finding the voltage at a radius of a cylinder is V = kQ/r, where V is the voltage, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the radius of the cylinder.

How do you determine the charge of a cylinder?

The charge of a cylinder can be determined by using the formula Q = Vr/k, where Q is the charge, V is the voltage, r is the radius of the cylinder, and k is the Coulomb's constant.

What is the unit of measurement for voltage?

The unit of measurement for voltage is the volt (V). This unit is named after the Italian physicist Alessandro Volta.

Can the voltage at a radius of a cylinder be negative?

Yes, the voltage at a radius of a cylinder can be negative. This indicates that the electric field at that point is directed towards the cylinder, rather than away from it.

How does the voltage at a radius of a cylinder change with distance?

The voltage at a radius of a cylinder follows an inverse relationship with distance. This means that as the distance increases, the voltage decreases and vice versa.