Finding Thevenin Equivalents using Source Transformations

In summary, the conversation was about solving a circuit problem and combining and transforming different elements to find the Thevenin equivalent circuit. By starting from the back end of the circuit and working towards the output terminals, the correct values of -18V and 600 ohms were found for the Thevenin equivalent.
Kevin2341
FIRST OFF: Sorry for the multiple post on this subject, I couldn't figure out how to edit my first post on this topic (I promise I'm not spamming!)

Homework Statement

initial.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Step 1:
Removed unnecessary resistors R1 and R3. R1 is removed because of the fact that it will not have any effect on the voltage because it is in parallel with the voltage source. R3 is the same in contrast, series with a current source has no effect on current.
step1.png

Step 2: Used several source transformations to convert the current source into a voltage source (combined the resistors R4 and R5 in series). Converted the voltage source back into a current source combining the R4\R5 series (now 1 resistor and in parallel to the current source) with R6 (2000 ohms || with 1000 ohms = 666.67 ohms)
step3.png

I'm not sure where to go from here. Am I some how able to rearrage the voltages and resistors and combine them that way? I feel like I'm really close (Or I've done this completely wrong).

Any help would be appreciated! :D

Physics news on Phys.org
R4 and R5 are not in series; the junction between them is not shared by them alone.

Consider instead converting V1 and R2 to a current source.

Oh, I see what you're saying, I forgot to convert V4 (step 2) into a current source (that was how I combined the three resistors into 666.67ohms).

So taking your advice and converting V3 (step 2), into a current source (10 mA parallel 1k), thus I get...

step4-1.png

So, from here, can I somehow combine my resistors, and use superposition to combine my current sources. If I could, then that would be a norton equivalent, which I could easily convert over to the desired thevenin equivalent?

edit: so my textbook has an example of this problem, element for element (but not value for value), and at this point in the circuit, they simply combined the resistors in parallel, and combined the current sources.

So if I were to follow their lead, I would get:
i = 10mA-50mA = -40mA
R = (1\1000 + 1\666.67)^-1 = 400 ohms,

convert it all into a thevenin equivalent, V = IR, V=-.04 * 400 = -16V

so -16V in series with 400 ohms

Last edited:
Your results are not correct since you've made several errors in combining and transforming things. R4 and R5 (in your original circuit diagram) are NOT in series. So you cannot treat them as such. As a result, the 666.7 Ohms you found and the 50 mA current source are not correct.

If you're going to solve the problem by repeated source transformation and combination, then you should start from the "back end" of the circuit and work your way forward towards the output terminals. So begin by converting the voltage supply V1 to a current source and move on from there, left to right. Resistors get combined suitably as you go.

Ok, so I reworked the problem using you're suggesting of working back-to-terminals, and hey! It worked! I started by converting my voltage source to a current source, combining 10mA - 100 mA = -90mA, and was able to easily work my way through the rest to get a voltage of -18V and 600 Rth, or -30mA, 600 Rn

Thanks! :D

Kevin2341 said:
Ok, so I reworked the problem using you're suggesting of working back-to-terminals, and hey! It worked! I started by converting my voltage source to a current source, combining 10mA - 100 mA = -90mA, and was able to easily work my way through the rest to get a voltage of -18V and 600 Rth, or -30mA, 600 Rn

Thanks! :D

Excellent. Well done.

1. What is a Thevenin equivalent circuit?

A Thevenin equivalent circuit is a simplified representation of a complex circuit that has two terminals, an equivalent voltage source, and an equivalent resistor. It behaves the same as the original circuit when connected to a load, but is easier to analyze and calculate.

2. Why is it useful to find Thevenin equivalents using source transformations?

Source transformations can simplify a circuit by converting voltage sources to current sources or vice versa. This allows for easier analysis and calculation of the Thevenin equivalent circuit, which can be used to determine the behavior of the original circuit under different load conditions.

3. How do you find the Thevenin voltage and resistance using source transformations?

To find the Thevenin voltage, you can use the voltage divider rule with the transformed circuit. To find the Thevenin resistance, you can use the equivalent resistance formula for series and parallel resistors with the transformed circuit. Then, the Thevenin equivalent circuit will have the same voltage and resistance as the original circuit.

4. What are some common mistakes when using source transformations to find Thevenin equivalents?

One common mistake is forgetting to account for the load when transforming the circuit. The source transformation should be done with the load removed from the circuit. Another mistake is not simplifying the transformed circuit enough, which can lead to incorrect values for the Thevenin voltage and resistance.

5. Can source transformations be used to find Thevenin equivalents for non-linear circuits?

No, source transformations can only be used for linear circuits. Non-linear circuits require a different method, such as using Thevenin's theorem or using nodal or mesh analysis.