Finding vC(t) for a Critical Damping RLC Circuit

In summary, the problem involves a circuit with an adjusted resistor for critical damping, an initial capacitor voltage of 15V, and an initial inductor current of 6mA. The task is to find vC(t) for t≥0 expressed in terms of t in milliseconds. The solution involves solving for the constants using the given initial conditions and the equation i=c*dv/dt. The roots to the differential equation are -5000, and the final value of C_2 is 56250.
MattHorbacz

Homework Statement

Figure_P08.44.jpg

In the circuit in the following figure, the resistor is adjusted for critical damping. The initial capacitor voltage is 15 V, and the initial inductor current is 6 mA and R=1250 ohms

Find vC(t) for t≥0.
Express your answer in terms of t, where t is in milliseconds.

Homework Equations

i=c*dv/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

the only part of this problem i am not getting is solving for the constants with the given initial conditions... the 2 roots to the differential equation are -5000. so:
v(t)=C_1*e^(-5000t)+C_2*t*e^(-5000t)
and
dv/dt [at t=0+]=-5000*C_1+C_2=i/c=(6*10^-3)A/(320*10^-9 F)=18750 volts/s
v(0)=C_1=15V
so C_2 -5000*15=18750...C_2=93750
but apparently C_2 is actually equal to 56250...If the equation was C_2-5000*15=-18750, then i would get 56250...where am i going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
As the charge flows away from the capacitor, I=-dQ/dt= - C dV/dt.

ehild

Related to Finding vC(t) for a Critical Damping RLC Circuit

1. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. These components interact with each other to produce a resonance effect and can be found in various electronic devices such as televisions, radios, and computers.

2. What is the equation for an RLC circuit?

The equation for an RLC circuit is V = I(R + jωL + 1/jωC), where V is the voltage, I is the current, R is the resistance, L is the inductance, C is the capacitance, and ω is the angular frequency.

3. How do you calculate the resonant frequency of an RLC circuit?

The resonant frequency of an RLC circuit can be calculated using the equation f = 1/2π√(LC), where f is the resonant frequency, L is the inductance, and C is the capacitance.

4. What is the significance of the resonant frequency in an RLC circuit?

The resonant frequency is the frequency at which the reactance of the inductor and capacitor cancel each other out, resulting in the maximum current flow through the circuit. This phenomenon is known as resonance and is important in the design and functioning of many electronic devices.

5. How does the value of resistance affect an RLC circuit?

The value of resistance affects an RLC circuit in several ways. A higher resistance can decrease the resonant frequency and reduce the amplitude of the current, while a lower resistance can increase the resonant frequency and increase the amplitude of the current. Resistance also affects the damping factor and the bandwidth of the circuit.