1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding volume ratio between 2 vessels using ideal gases

1. Nov 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have been tasked with designing a feasible experiment to determine the ration between 2 vessels. I think i have a way that works on paper.
    2. Relevant equations
    pV = nRT and the conservation of mass.

3. The attempt at a solution
    1.Start with 2 vessels of unknown volume x and y. they are linked with a pipe/valve.
    the temp in x to start is t1(x) and in y is t1(y).
    the catch is, im keeping the pressure constant, so p(x) and p(y). This is the crucial idea, as im going to increase the temperature of one to say, t3(x) leading to t4(y) being produced in the y vessel. I can use the conservation of mass so n(initial sum) = n(final sum) for moles, and rearrange to find x/y. However, is it a feasible procedure, does it work the way i would want it to? could i keep the pressure constant? im not sure how...
    We did it with an isothermal process, and have to justify using another process to find the same result.

regards,

james.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2015 #2
    What are you allowed to measure? What are you allowed to do?

Chet

4. Nov 9, 2015 #3
    apologies for the typo, i want to find the ratio of volumes between 2 vessels. I can see the pressure and temperature, but they are effectively behind a wall and i can control pressure input and output only.
    i can measure the temperature of the vessels and their pressures. I can also increase or decrease the pressure, although i would want it constant in this situation. I do not possess apparatus to control the temperature though... so i guess i just answered my own question. I wanted to vary the temperature.

Regardless, could I perform the experiment and find the ratio using a process other than an isothermal one? that is the one we used, allowing gas to discharge into the other vessel from one (pressurised) and use the gas laws and conserve mass to find the ratio. I could keep pressure constant but im not sure how i could use that.

5. Nov 9, 2015 #4
    Let's see if I understand. You are going to have different temperatures and different pressures in the two chambers to start with. Then, you are going to open the pipe between the two chambers and allow their pressures to equilibrate? Are you also going to wait long enough to get the temperatures to equilibrate, presumably with the surrounding room temperature? Is that your game plan?

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted