Finding volume ratio between 2 vessels using ideal gases

In summary, james attempted to solve a homework problem involving two vessels by varying the temperature and pressure. He was not sure if it was feasible to keep the pressure constant, but he thought it was possible. He then proposed an isothermal process as a possible solution, but he is unsure if that is the only feasible way to solve the problem.
Jamessamuel

Homework Statement

I have been tasked with designing a feasible experiment to determine the ration between 2 vessels. I think i have a way that works on paper.

Homework Equations

pV = nRT and the conservation of mass.

The Attempt at a Solution

1.Start with 2 vessels of unknown volume x and y. they are linked with a pipe/valve.
the temp in x to start is t1(x) and in y is t1(y).
the catch is, I am keeping the pressure constant, so p(x) and p(y). This is the crucial idea, as I am going to increase the temperature of one to say, t3(x) leading to t4(y) being produced in the y vessel. I can use the conservation of mass so n(initial sum) = n(final sum) for moles, and rearrange to find x/y. However, is it a feasible procedure, does it work the way i would want it to? could i keep the pressure constant? I am not sure how...
We did it with an isothermal process, and have to justify using another process to find the same result.

regards,

james.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you allowed to measure? What are you allowed to do?

Chet

apologies for the typo, i want to find the ratio of volumes between 2 vessels. I can see the pressure and temperature, but they are effectively behind a wall and i can control pressure input and output only.
i can measure the temperature of the vessels and their pressures. I can also increase or decrease the pressure, although i would want it constant in this situation. I do not possesses apparatus to control the temperature though... so i guess i just answered my own question. I wanted to vary the temperature.

Regardless, could I perform the experiment and find the ratio using a process other than an isothermal one? that is the one we used, allowing gas to discharge into the other vessel from one (pressurised) and use the gas laws and conserve mass to find the ratio. I could keep pressure constant but I am not sure how i could use that.

Let's see if I understand. You are going to have different temperatures and different pressures in the two chambers to start with. Then, you are going to open the pipe between the two chambers and allow their pressures to equilibrate? Are you also going to wait long enough to get the temperatures to equilibrate, presumably with the surrounding room temperature? Is that your game plan?

Chet

Related to Finding volume ratio between 2 vessels using ideal gases

1. How do you calculate the volume ratio between two vessels using ideal gases?

The volume ratio between two vessels can be calculated by using the ideal gas law, which states that the ratio of the initial volume to the final volume is equal to the ratio of the initial pressure to the final pressure, assuming constant temperature and moles of gas. This can be represented mathematically as V1/V2 = P1/P2.

2. What is the ideal gas law and how does it relate to finding volume ratio between two vessels?

The ideal gas law is a formula that describes the relationship between the physical properties of a gas, including volume, pressure, temperature, and number of moles. It can be used to calculate the volume ratio between two vessels by assuming that the moles of gas and temperature remain constant. The pressure and volume of each vessel can then be used to determine the volume ratio.

3. Can the volume ratio between two vessels using ideal gases be affected by changing temperature or moles of gas?

No, the volume ratio between two vessels using ideal gases is only dependent on the pressure and volume of each vessel. The ideal gas law assumes that the temperature and moles of gas are constant, so any changes to these factors will not affect the volume ratio.

4. What are the units for the volume ratio between two vessels using ideal gases?

The volume ratio between two vessels using ideal gases is a dimensionless quantity, meaning it has no units. This is because the volumes and pressures used in the calculation are typically in the same units, so they cancel out when determining the ratio.

5. What are some potential sources of error when finding the volume ratio between two vessels using ideal gases?

Some potential sources of error when finding the volume ratio between two vessels using ideal gases include not using accurate measurements for pressure and volume, not accounting for changes in temperature or moles of gas, and not taking into consideration any leaks or fluctuations in the vessels. It is important to ensure that all variables are controlled and measured accurately in order to obtain an accurate volume ratio.