1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding where the gravitational field strength is 0

1. Nov 12, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

NDdr7pR.png
    2. Relevant equations
    g = (Gm)/r2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried doing (Gm1)/a2 = (Gm2)/(r-a)2 where a is equal to the distance from the position we're trying to find to the center of the most massive object but end up getting a quadratic in the denominator on the right side. The answer in the back of the textbook is this: rfsYdeU.png

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Would taking the square root of both sides help? First, you might want to get all of the "squared stuff" on one side of the equation and everything else on the other side.

4. Nov 12, 2016 #3
    Thanks for your (very) prompt reply! Yeah that helps but now i have (r-a)/a±√(m1/m2). It's very close to the answer but I have no idea what to do with the a :/

5. Nov 12, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you leave out an equals sign somewhere in (r-a)/a±√(m1/m2) ?

Decide whether the + or the - should be used here.

Then, solve for ##a##.

6. Nov 12, 2016 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Since you're solving for a fraction of the distance r, why not let a be that fraction so that 0 < a < 1. Then one distance will be ar and the other (1-a)r. Otherwise I think you're going to struggle more than necessary to get the distance differences into fractional form.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted