1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Young's Modulus

1. Jul 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2015-7-8_22-54-55.png

2. Relevant equations
    E= (F/A) x (L/ΔL)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that since the material is the same, the Young modulus should be the same. However, when I try to find the ratio of the second wire to the first, I get the answer C. For the first wire, E= 4FL / d2Δl, since A = d2/4.
    For the second wire, the value of E I obtain is F x ½L / (d2/16) x Δl , which is twice the first value. I can't see what's wrong with my working. Can someone point it out?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2015 #2
    This is a conceptual question, so we know for a particular material at a certain temperature Young's modulus will be a constant. Using the above equation we see that area does not reduce linearly so you're probably wondering how do I compare a thicker wire to a thinner one. Remember that to get the same ratio of change in length from original length in the thinner wire will require less force. So while your area is a quarter of the size of the original wire, the force needed is also reduced.

4. Jul 8, 2015 #3
    Oh I see, so from the information given in the question above, there's no way of obtaining the same value of E as the first wire without knowing the change in the value of F is it?

5. Jul 8, 2015 #4
    Yes, its not meant to be solved numerically.

6. Jul 8, 2015 #5
    Ok, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted