Finite Sum Convergence: Solving for n in the Equation n^2 + 3n - 2 = 0

In summary, the conversation is about a math problem involving a summation and finding a closed form for the result. The person asking the question has tried a few methods but is unsure if they are correct. The expert suggests rewriting the equation and using known representations for sums to get a simplified expression.
Nick Bruno
1. Homework Statement [/b]

See attached

2. Homework Equations

See attached

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer is 6 or zero... but I can't figure out how to "show" this. When typing this equation into my calculator, I can clearly see that the number always ends in .0 or .6.

Initially I let k = (n-(n-1))

so the equation turns into

(n-(n-1))*([n-(n-1)] +1) / n = n(n-1)/n (1)

I then solve for n and I get

n^2 + 3n - 2 = 0

My calculator produces results

n^2 + 3n + 2 = 0.

Is equation (1) the correct way to solve this problem? If it is, the I just have a sign error somewhere... but I've triple checked my work and it seems there is none, so I am assuming (1) is not correct. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 347
Physics news on Phys.org
Nick Bruno said:
Initially I let k = (n-(n-1))

I've never seen this type of question before, so I wouldn't know how to solve it right away.
But I do want to point out that n-(n-1)) = 1. So you are letting k = 1, is that what you meant to say?

By the looks of it your hunch is right though, the sum is always either an integer, or something of the form (integer) + (2/3). You might want to try finding a closed form of the result (i.e. a general formula for all n) and then consider n modulo 3...

In the sum below, you can move the n in the denominator outside the summation.
[tex]\sum_{k = 1}^n \frac{k(k + 1)}{n}~=~\frac{1}{n}\sum_{k = 1}^n k(k + 1)[/tex]

Now you can rewrite k(k + 1) as k2 + k, and split the single sum into two separate summations, not forgetting the factor of 1/n for each.

Using the well-known representations for [itex]\sum{k^2}[/itex] and [itex]\sum{k}[/itex], you can get a nice, neat expression for your original sum.

What is a finite sum?

A finite sum is a mathematical expression made up of a finite number of terms that are added together. Each term in the sum can be a number, variable, or a combination of both.

What is the convergence of a finite sum?

The convergence of a finite sum refers to whether the sum approaches a specific value as the number of terms in the sum increases. If the sum approaches a specific value, we say that the sum converges. If the sum does not approach a specific value, we say that the sum diverges.

How do you determine the convergence of a finite sum?

To determine the convergence of a finite sum, we can use different methods such as the ratio test, the root test, or the integral test. These methods help us determine if the sum approaches a specific value or not.

What is the importance of finite sum convergence?

The importance of finite sum convergence lies in its application to various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. In these fields, we use finite sums to approximate real-world problems and the convergence of these sums helps us determine the accuracy of our solutions.

What happens when a finite sum does not converge?

If a finite sum does not converge, it means that the sum is either infinite or oscillates between different values. In this case, we cannot use the sum to approximate real-world problems and we need to find alternative methods to solve the problem.