1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finite Sum Convergence

1. Nov 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b]

See attached

2. Relevant equations

See attached

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the answer is 6 or zero... but I cant figure out how to "show" this. When typing this equation into my calculator, I can clearly see that the number always ends in .0 or .6.

Initially I let k = (n-(n-1))

so the equation turns into

(n-(n-1))*([n-(n-1)] +1) / n = n(n-1)/n (1)

I then solve for n and I get

n^2 + 3n - 2 = 0

My calculator produces results

n^2 + 3n + 2 = 0.

Is equation (1) the correct way to solve this problem? If it is, the I just have a sign error somewhere... but I've triple checked my work and it seems there is none, so I am assuming (1) is not correct. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I've never seen this type of question before, so I wouldn't know how to solve it right away.
    But I do want to point out that n-(n-1)) = 1. So you are letting k = 1, is that what you meant to say?

By the looks of it your hunch is right though, the sum is always either an integer, or something of the form (integer) + (2/3). You might want to try finding a closed form of the result (i.e. a general formula for all n) and then consider n modulo 3...

4. Nov 18, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

In the sum below, you can move the n in the denominator outside the summation.
    [tex]\sum_{k = 1}^n \frac{k(k + 1)}{n}~=~\frac{1}{n}\sum_{k = 1}^n k(k + 1)[/tex]

Now you can rewrite k(k + 1) as k2 + k, and split the single sum into two separate summations, not forgetting the factor of 1/n for each.

Using the well-known representations for [itex]\sum{k^2}[/itex] and [itex]\sum{k}[/itex], you can get a nice, neat expression for your original sum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook