First Derivative of Periodic Tube Profile | Get Help Now

• Thread starter nazmulislam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses the need to calculate the first derivative at each point of a periodic tube profile. The individual asking for help provides a sketch of the setup and some sample data. They clarify that the data is from their own work and not for school. The expert suggests using the definition of the derivative and offers a formula for calculating it based on discrete datasets. They also mention the potential inaccuracies of numeric derivatives and suggest fitting the data to a sinusoidal function for more reliable results.
nazmulislam
Hi,

I have some points say, 100 points which come from a periodic tube profile, i.e., (z,r), where z and r are the axial and radial coordinates, respectively.

Now, I need to calculate the first derivative at each point.

Could you please help me in this regard?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
nazmulislam said:
Hi,

I have some points say, 100 points which come from a periodic tube profile, i.e., (z,r), where z and r are the axial and radial coordinates, respectively.

Now, I need to calculate the first derivative at each point.

Could you please help me in this regard?

Cheers

Can you post a sketch of the setup? And you want to calculate the derivatave of what with respect to what? Can you show some sample data?

Is this for schoolwork, or is a data set from your work?

Hi, I have given the profile below

upload_2015-3-25_12-58-25.png

I want to calculate dh/dz. Some data are below:

z h
-1 1
-0.8 0.823664
-0.6 0.714683
-0.4 0.714683
-0.2 0.823664
0 1
0.2 1.176336
0.4 1.285317
0.6 1.285317
0.8 1.176336
1 1

The data set from my work.

Thanks

Attachments

• Profile.pdf
    86.6 KB · Views: 195
  • upload_2015-3-25_12-58-9.png
    upload_2015-3-25_12-58-9.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 449
nazmulislam said:
I want to calculate dh/dz

It looks to me like your data do not match your graph...

But in any case, are you aware of the definition of the derivative? Or implementations in discrete datasets?

One way to do it is:

[tex]h'(z) =\frac{h(z+1)-h(z-1)}{2z}[/tex]

Okay, LaTeX isn't working for me tonight... In clear text:
Note from Mark44: It's fixed now @Berkman -- there was an extra brace that I removed.

h'(z) = ( h(z+1) - h(z-1) ) / 2z

Where 2z is the distance between the 2 bracketing datapoints (in the units of z). Does that make sense?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I understand the facts. Many thanks.

Cheers

Numeric derivatives are notoriously bad, so take your results with a grain of salt. A better approach would be to attempt to fit your data to a sinusoidal function. Then get your derivatives from that.

Likes berkeman

Related to First Derivative of Periodic Tube Profile | Get Help Now

What is the first derivative of a periodic tube profile?

The first derivative of a periodic tube profile is a mathematical function that represents the rate of change of the tube's cross-sectional area with respect to its axial position. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to describe the shape and properties of tubes and pipes.

How is the first derivative of a periodic tube profile calculated?

The first derivative of a periodic tube profile can be calculated using calculus, specifically the derivative formula for periodic functions. This involves taking the derivative of the periodic function with respect to its independent variable, typically the axial position of the tube.

What information does the first derivative of a periodic tube profile provide?

The first derivative of a periodic tube profile provides information about the slope or curvature of the tube at any given point along its length. This information can be used to determine the maximum and minimum points of the tube, as well as its overall shape and characteristics.

Why is the first derivative of a periodic tube profile important?

The first derivative of a periodic tube profile is important because it can help engineers and scientists understand and analyze the behavior of tubes and pipes in various applications. It can also be used to optimize designs and solve problems related to fluid flow, heat transfer, and structural integrity.

Are there any limitations to using the first derivative of a periodic tube profile?

Like any mathematical model, the first derivative of a periodic tube profile has certain limitations. It assumes that the tube is perfectly circular and that its cross-sectional area varies smoothly along its length. In reality, tubes may have imperfections and discontinuities that can affect their behavior and the accuracy of the first derivative.