First Flight Today: My Flight Experience at KGAI

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flight
In summary: I flew in a Cessna 172SP. It was a real blast. I really liked the way it handled in the air, and the sound it made. Unfortunately, I don't have a 172 anymore, so I can't fly it. I'm looking forward to flying a 182 sometime in the future. This is going to be a really tough decision, because I really like the 172. But I think the 182 will be a lot more fun.
Well, with one exception... that F14[?] that flew with one wing + a bit.

Come on Cyrus, if he can do it I'm sure that you could. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, but I think that applies more to para/hang gliders.

I've been in a commercial twin engine puddle-jumper that got caught in an updraft - then a down draft. Cloud suck can most definitely happen in a single engine craft - and that is why pilots fly around thunderheads with wide clearance. Certainly a plane won't be sucked several thousand feet, but it could be unsafe nevertheless.

That's a micro burst, a strong down draft, in strong thunderstorms. It's not your day if you find one at final approach for landing. Approaching the micro burst, the headwind increasing strongly, you pick up air speed and hence the aircraft getting energy to climb.

Now the wrong decision is usually taken to correct for it and ease off the power to fight the effects, reduce the speed and stay on the approach parameters. Seconds later you pass the centre of the downdraft and then you get tail wind, the airspeed is now dropping dramatically and the airplane may stall, which is the same effect of having no wings. With less power selected, the time to regain power may be too short.

It's a real killer.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
I've been in a commercial twin engine puddle-jumper that got caught in an updraft - then a down draft. Cloud suck can most definitely happen in a single engine craft - and that is why pilots fly around thunderheads with wide clearance. Certainly a plane won't be sucked several thousand feet, but it could be unsafe nevertheless.

I was talking to my instructor today as we were flying. You were right, though I've never heard the term 'cloud suck' before. I've heard it called microburst. The visibility was only about 5 miles today, lots of haze. We did more touch-and-go's and some slow flight. I had another airplane with 'character'. She would pop on taxi and the instructors call her 'the beast'. I am going to start flying early in the mornings now, it gets damm hot up there with no air conditioning. And being memorial day weekend, there were too many people talking over each other on the unicom. It would constantly squelch when two people tried to talk at once.

Jesus christ, what an idiot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I can't dispute that he's still alive because of the parachute; it sure as hell wasn't his piloting skills that saved him. How the hell did that guy keep his license?

I don't know, he had no reason to parachute. His plane was working fine. Dont these idiots scan for other traffic? Your flying around airspace with lots of gliders and other people around. Talk about lazy idiots. That airplane had a pilot and camera man, the other one at least one pilot. Was everyone asleep?

Yeah, he sure should have been looking around. And once he did see the other, what happened to the mandated 'dive right' response in case of a possible collision? And shutting the engine off right when you need it most?! Damned parachute just cost the Darwin Award committee their most likely candidate of the year.
Okay, bedtime for Danger. Later.

To the benifit of the pilot who used his chute, it would be hard to see another plane coming at you from your right wing-tip. But for the other guy, there were two airplanes RIGHT INFRONT OF HIM flying in close formation. HOW DO YOU NOT SEE THAT? He should have his license revoked, not suspended.

cyrusabdollahi you should keep a blog of your flight training / hours flown. You can add to it each day, and I can be a jealous idiot and subscribe to it. :)

If you don't know the story, you might be interested in reading about the death of Congressmen Hale Boggs, and Nick Begich. This is the core of the story:

In 1972, while he was still Majority Leader, the twin engine airplane in which Boggs was traveling over a remote section of Alaska disappeared. The plane presumably crashed and was never found. Congressman Nick Begich was also presumed killed in that accident.

...He [the pilot] deliberately flew into known icing conditions, having written the lead article for Flying Magazine of October 1972, entitled "Ice Without Fear." In the article, Jonz boasted that 99% of the current wisdom regarding flying in icing conditions could be safely disregarded.[continued]
http://www.answers.com/topic/hale-boggs

9 times out of 10 bravado gets you killed. If its a car/plane/motorcycle, same end result.

Today was nice weather and very little traffic. We flew from GAI to Martersburg (with a bunch of Galaxies parked on the runway).

http://ama.natca.net/photos/C5.jpg

Did some touch-and-go's, and then did a few more touch and gos at frederick (FDK) and flew back to Gathersburg (KGAI)

http://photos-524.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v72/133/69/5736845/n5736845_34574524_5628.jpg
Pre-flight complete and beginning engine startup procedures.

http://photos-529.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v72/133/69/5736845/n5736845_34574529_6952.jpg
Us circling for 15 minutes before ATC would give us a sqawk code to enter back into the ADIZ. Circling for clearance SUCKS.

More updates! :cry:

It rained all day today, so the flight was canceled.

It was hazy on Saturday (yesterday), but I was not flying because I did not reserve an airplane, so no harm no foul anyways.

It was hazy on Friday (visibility about 3 miles), and someone had the plane right after me so the flight was short.

It rained all day today, so the weather should be nice and clear tomorrow. Going to do some landings, s-turns, and turns around a point.

Also, I got a Cessna Information Manual on the Cutlass Model 172Q (Higher performance 180HP version of the 172). I've been reading through that book, particularly on emergency procedures. (Engine Failures, Ditching, Fires, Icing, Flat tires, Electrical power and supply system malfunctions).

Trying to memorize the V-speeds for my particular model Cessna. Trying to improve talking on the radios, particularly Potomac Clearance and Control(hard).

Also, another person was taxiing when their right brake locked up. Their plane swerved into another bigger airplane and tore apart the 4-bladed carbon-wood prop of the parked airplane. It did $30k in damage to the parked airplane and took another airplane out of the rental fleet for a while (dammit).

Its just been really hazy outside with visibility typically 4-6 miles. You don't see other traffic until they zoom by your window.

Tonight, I am going to do some flying on flight simulator and practice emergency procedures.

I didnt fly that day I said I would (see post above) because of more rain.

I got a headset (the cheapest one I could find). I looked on ebay, and they wanted almost the same price for a used set (higher quality, but still its used). So I said screw it, I am paying the same amount, I might as well get something new out the box.

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/5383/pict0209bo2.jpg

But, this is my main reason for this post: BOOKS.

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/3241/pict0208ue6.jpg

Look at all these books that came with a BAG, and it all cost only $200 bucks! Thats incredible! The main book is a hardcover, and is as thick as my textbooks. Full of high color/quality images.

I spent $160 bucks on ONE single book for my summer course on Aerodynamics that's in black and white. Books at school are a MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR rip-off. I think they are making 200% profit on those books at school. What a scam...what a scam.

Hopefully the weather is nice tomorrow, were doing a cross-country to Lancaster, Pa.

That Private Pilot set was only $200? Can you tell me where you bought it and what it's called?

Its a Jeppesen private pilot kit. The books are really nice full color with tons of pictures. It really is a bargain. You should get it and read through them.