First-Order Linear Differential Equation Problem

In summary, the equation Ly'+Ry=E\sin(\omega x) has a solution \phi satisfying \phi(0)=0 given by \phi(x)=\frac{E\omega L}{R^2+\omega^2L^2}e^{-Rx/L}+\frac{E}{\sqrt{R^2+\omega^2L^2}}\sin(\omega x-\alpha), where \alpha is the angle satisfying \cos (\alpha)=\frac{R}{\sqrt{R^2+\omega^2L^2}}, \sin(\alpha)=\frac{\omega L}{\sqrt{R^2+\omega^2L^2}}. To solve this, we use the
JM00404
Consider the equation [tex] Ly'+Ry=E\sin(\omega x) [/tex] , where [tex] L,R,E,\omega [/tex] are positive constants.
1) Compute the solution [tex] \phi [/tex] satisfying [tex] \phi(0)=0 .[/tex]
2) Show that this solution may be written in the form [tex] \phi(x)=\frac{E\omega L}{R^2+\omega^2L^2}e^{-Rx/L}+\frac{E}{\sqrt{R^2+\omega^2L^2}}\sin(\omega x-\alpha) ,[/tex]
where [tex] \alpha [/tex] is the angle satisfying [tex] \cos (\alpha)=\frac{R}{\sqrt{R^2+\omega^2L^2}} [/tex] , [tex] \sin(\alpha)=\frac{\omega L}{\sqrt{R^2+\omega^2L^2}}. [/tex]

I have already solved part (1) of this problem but am having some difficulty converting the solution that I computed for part (1) to that which will allow me to answer part (2). A summary of the work that I did to solve part (1) can be found immediately following this sentence.

[tex] Ly'+Ry=E\sin(\omega x) \iff y'=\frac{Ry}{L}=\frac{E\sin(\omega x)}{L} [/tex] .
[tex] Let \ a(x)=R/L \implies \int a(x)dx=Rx/L .[/tex] [tex] \therefore e^{\int a(x)dx}=e^{Rx/L}. [/tex]

[tex] e^{Rx/L}\left[y'+\frac{Rx}{L}\right]=e^{Rx/L}\left[\frac{E\sin(\omega x)}{L}\right] \implies \left(e^{Rx/L}y\right)'=\frac{E}{L}\left[e^{Rx/L}\sin(\omega x)\right] [/tex]
[tex] \implies \int \left(e^{Rx/L}y\right)'dx=\frac{E}{L}\int e^{Rx/L}\sin(\omega x)dx=\frac{E}{L}\left[\frac{1}{(R/L)^2+\omega^2}\right]\left[e^{Rx/L}\right]\left[\frac{R}{L}\sin(\omega x)-\omega\cos(\omega x)\right]+C [/tex]
[tex] =E\left[\frac{R\sin(\omega x)-L\omega\cos(\omega x)}{R^2+\omega^2L^2}\right]e^{Rx/L}+C \implies y=\phi(x)=E\left[\frac{R\sin(\omega x)-L\omega\cos(\omega x)}{R^2+\omega^2L^2}\right]+Ce^{-Rx/L}. [/tex]

[tex] \phi(0)=E\left[\frac{0-L\omega}{R^2+\omega^2L^2}\right]+Ce^0=-E\left[\frac{0-L\omega}{R^2+\omega^2L^2}\right]+C=0 \implies C=E\left[\frac{0-L\omega}{R^2+\omega^2L^2}\right] .[/tex]

[tex] \therefore \phi(x)=E\left[\frac{R\sin(\omega x)-L\omega\cos(\omega x)}{R^2+\omega^2L^2}\right]+E\left[\frac{L\omega}{R^2+\omega^2L^2}\right]e^{-Rx/L}. [/tex]

What I cannot seem to figure out how it is that I am supposed to convert the first component of the solution, [tex] E\left[\frac{R\sin(\omega x)-L\omega\cos(\omega x)}{R^2+\omega^2L^2}\right] [/tex] , into [tex] \frac{E}{\sqrt{R^2+\omega^2L^2}}\sin(\omega x-\alpha) [/tex] as is written in part (2) of the above problem. It would be appreciated if someone could provide me with some additional insight into how to complete part (2) (it appears that I am probably not seeing what it is that I need to do in order to solve the remainder of the problem). Prompt responses are greately appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Note that

[tex]\sin(\omega x - \alpha) = \sin(\omega x)\cos(\alpha) - \cos(\omega x)\sin(\alpha)[/tex]

Does that help?

Thank you for posting that identity. I have made some modifications to the original post-it appears that some typos were made while I was in the process of typing. All of the equations should now look more hospitable. Thank you for your time.

1. What is a first-order linear differential equation?

A first-order linear differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function and its derivatives. It is called linear because the function and its derivatives appear in a linear form, with no products, powers, or trigonometric functions involved. It is commonly written in the form y' + p(x)y = q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are functions of x.

2. What is the difference between a first-order linear differential equation and a second-order linear differential equation?

The main difference between a first-order and second-order linear differential equation is the number of derivatives involved. A first-order equation involves only the first derivative of the function, while a second-order equation involves the second derivative. Additionally, the solution to a first-order equation is a function, while the solution to a second-order equation is a family of functions.

3. How do I solve a first-order linear differential equation?

There are several methods for solving a first-order linear differential equation, such as separation of variables, integrating factors, and the method of undetermined coefficients. It is important to first identify the type of equation and then choose the appropriate method. It may also be helpful to use initial conditions to find the particular solution.

4. What are some real-life applications of first-order linear differential equations?

First-order linear differential equations have many applications in science and engineering, such as modeling population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They are also used in economics to model supply and demand, and in finance to model interest rates and stock prices.

5. Are there any limitations to using first-order linear differential equations?

First-order linear differential equations have limitations in their ability to accurately model complex systems, as they assume linearity and constant coefficients. They may also have difficulties in predicting long-term behavior or sudden changes in the system. In these cases, higher-order equations or numerical methods may be necessary.