First Order RC Circuit Analysis: Homework Equations and Attempted Solution

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a driven RC circuit and determining the voltage and time constant. The individual asking the question is unsure of their solution and asks for clarification. The expert confirms the correctness of the solution and explains the change in time constant at t=0.
RoKr93

Homework Statement

2013-07-03163445_zps93be684f.jpg

Homework Equations

vc(t) = vc(∞) + [vc(0+) - vc(∞)]*e-t/τ (Voltage in a driven RC circuit)

τ = RC (time constant for an RC circuit)

The Attempt at a Solution

2013-07-03163504_zpse1bdce44.jpg

I'm pretty shaky with these sorts of problems and am quite unconfident of my work here. Step functions tend to confuse me and I'm not quite certain I interpreted this one right- I understand it to mean Vin(t) = V0 when t ≤ τ. Also, my time constant appears to be inconsistent with the one given in the problem, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to be the same thing.

Would appreciate some clarification.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculations are correct. What problems do you have?

Okay, great. I just haven't performed many of these problems and wasn't sure. But one question persists: why does my time constant differ from the given one? Is 6RC the time constant before t=0?

Yes, we have [itex]\tau=6RC[/itex] for [itex]t<0[/itex]. But the circuit changes at [itex]t=0[/itex] so [itex]\tau[/itex] also changes.

I would like to commend you for recognizing your areas of uncertainty and seeking clarification. It shows that you are committed to understanding the material and improving your skills in this subject.

To address your concerns, let's first clarify the meaning of the step function in this problem. The step function, Vin(t) = V0 when t ≤ τ, simply means that the input voltage is constant at V0 for the time period t ≤ τ. This is a common way to represent an input signal in circuit analysis problems.

Moving on to your time constant, it is indeed inconsistent with the one given in the problem. The time constant, τ = RC, is a property of the circuit and is determined by the values of the resistor (R) and capacitor (C). In this case, it seems that you have used a different value for either R or C, leading to a different time constant. I would suggest double-checking your calculations to ensure accuracy.

Finally, I would like to remind you that it is always helpful to check your solution by plugging in some values and seeing if it makes sense. For example, if you plug in t = 0, you should get Vc(0) = Vc(∞) + [Vc(0+) - Vc(∞)]*e^0 = Vc(∞) + [V0 - Vc(∞)] = V0, which is consistent with the given condition for t ≤ τ. This can help you catch any errors in your calculations and build confidence in your solution.

I hope this response helps clarify some of your concerns and builds your confidence in solving these types of problems. Keep up the good work in developing your skills as a scientist!

Related to First Order RC Circuit Analysis: Homework Equations and Attempted Solution

1. What is First Order RC Analysis?

First Order RC Analysis is a mathematical technique used to analyze the behavior of a first-order RC (resistor-capacitor) circuit. This type of analysis involves determining the voltage or current response of the circuit over time.

2. What is the purpose of First Order RC Analysis?

The purpose of First Order RC Analysis is to understand the behavior of a first-order RC circuit and to predict the voltage or current response of the circuit over time. This information is useful for designing and troubleshooting electronic circuits.

3. How is First Order RC Analysis performed?

First Order RC Analysis involves solving differential equations that describe the behavior of the circuit. This can be done analytically using calculus or numerically using computer software.

4. What are the key components of a first-order RC circuit?

The key components of a first-order RC circuit are a resistor and a capacitor. The resistor limits the flow of current, while the capacitor stores electrical charge. The combination of these components creates a time-varying response in the circuit.

5. What are some real-world applications of First Order RC Analysis?

First Order RC Analysis is used in many real-world applications, such as in electronic filters, signal processing, and time delay circuits. It is also commonly used in the analysis of biological systems, such as the response of neurons to electrical stimuli.