First oreder linear ODE NONHOMOGENEOUS

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation with initial conditions using integration and variation of parameters. The final solution is y=c_1e^(1/x)+1.
pat666

Homework Statement

[tex] x^3y'+xy=x, y(1)=2 [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble starting this because it doesn't fit any form I'm familiar with because of the [tex] x^3 [/tex] in front of the y'. Can someone give me some pointers to get started..

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless you have a typo, you can simplify the equation somewhat by dividing through by x. The homogeneous equation is separable. The inhomogenous equation should be solvable by variation of parameters or by just guessing that the particular solution is a constant.

hey, thanks for the reply. I'm still having trouble though.
[tex] x^2y'=1-y [/tex]
[tex] x^2/dx=(1-y)/dy [/tex]
I'm not sure what to do now because I can't integrate like that?

Thanks

edit:
unless I should invert everything:
[tex] 1/x^2 dx=1/(1-y) dy [/tex] just an idea not sure if that is the logical next step?

pat666 said:
hey, thanks for the reply. I'm still having trouble though.
[tex] x^2y'=1-y [/tex]
[tex] x^2/dx=(1-y)/dy [/tex]
I'm not sure what to do now because I can't integrate like that?

Thanks

edit:
unless I should invert everything:
[tex] 1/x^2 dx=1/(1-y) dy [/tex] just an idea not sure if that is the logical next step?

Yes, invert both sides.

ok now I have
[tex] 1/x+c=ln(y-1) [/tex]
[tex] y=e^(1/x)+1+c_1 [/tex]

Is that correct?
Thanks

Integrating dx/x^2 doesn't give you 1/x. And you need to think a bit harder about what happens when you exponentiate both sides.

it gives -1/x but the integral of [tex] 1/(1-y) dy is -ln(y-1) [/tex] so I got rid of the negative. I don't know what's wrong with the exponentiation though?? unless you meant that c should be e^c but I changed to c1 where c1=e^cthanks

[tex]e^{(1/x)+ C}= e^C e^{1/x}= c_1e^{1/x}[/tex]
not
"[tex]e^{1/x}+ c_1[/tex]"

ok thanks so:
[tex]
y=c_1 e^(1/x)+1
[/tex] is a/the correct solutions?

thanks

pat666 said:
ok thanks so:
[tex]
y=c_1 e^(1/x)+1
[/tex] is a/the correct solutions?

thanks

That's it.

1. What is a first order linear ODE nonhomogeneous?

A first order linear ODE nonhomogeneous is a type of ordinary differential equation (ODE) that involves a first derivative of an unknown function, along with a constant and/or variable term. The term "nonhomogeneous" refers to the presence of an additional non-zero term on the right side of the equation, which makes the ODE nonhomogeneous.

2. How do you solve a first order linear ODE nonhomogeneous?

To solve a first order linear ODE nonhomogeneous, you can use the method of variation of parameters or the method of undetermined coefficients. The method of variation of parameters involves finding a particular solution by replacing the constant coefficients in the homogeneous solution with functions of the independent variable. The method of undetermined coefficients involves guessing the form of the particular solution based on the nonhomogeneous term and finding the unknown coefficients using substitution.

3. What is the difference between a homogeneous and nonhomogeneous ODE?

A homogeneous ODE has a zero term on the right side of the equation, meaning there is no additional non-zero term present. A nonhomogeneous ODE, on the other hand, has a non-zero term on the right side of the equation, making it nonhomogeneous. This additional term can make the ODE more difficult to solve compared to a homogeneous ODE.

4. When is a first order linear ODE nonhomogeneous used in real-world applications?

A first order linear ODE nonhomogeneous can be used to model various physical phenomena, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and electrical circuits. In these applications, the nonhomogeneous term represents an external influence or forcing function on the system, which affects the behavior of the dependent variable.

5. What are some common techniques used to solve a first order linear ODE nonhomogeneous?

Aside from the method of variation of parameters and the method of undetermined coefficients, other techniques that can be used to solve a first order linear ODE nonhomogeneous include Laplace transforms, power series, and numerical methods. The choice of technique depends on the complexity of the ODE and the availability of initial/boundary conditions.