What are the equations for fission-based spacecraft propulsion?

In summary, this expert summarizer thinks that the first equation does not demonstrate how the fission produces thrust, and that one must show the change in momentum of the propellant and the mass flow rate of the propellant in order to describe thrust. They also think that nuclear fission was under development in the USA from 1955 to 1972, and that Project Rover at Los Alamos and NERVA and KIWI used actual fission reactors producing up to 1,000 MW of heat. They also think that John McPhee is author of The Curve of Binding Energy.
Arjun Wasan
Hello I'm working on a project to create spacecraft engines that use fission to produce thrust. I will be coming up with many equations and I wanted to have them checked. If you could review them and give me some feedback that would be great. Here is the first equation that describes how the fission produces force:

(em*ea)*sc=sca

where: em - mass of energy released
ea - acceleration of energy released
sc - mass of spacecraft
sca - acceleration of spacecraft

Engineering news on Phys.org
Arjun Wasan said:
(em*ea)*sc=sca
The units of this equation do not work.

F(propellant) = F( spacecraft ) or ma(propellant) = ma ( spacecraft ).

(em*ea)/sc=sca would be more appropriate, but that's too simplistic. This is only an equivalence and does not describe how fission produces thrust, rather it only describes the acceleration of a spacecraft assuming some thrust from a fission system. In order to describe thrust, one must show the change in momentum of the propellant and the mass flow rate of the propellant.

Likes Arjun Wasan
Fission produces energy in the form of heat. That heat is then used to heat water to create pressure which propels it through a pipe to turn a turbine and create electricity. But even then the electricity cannot create propulsion because it's a spacecraft in a vacuum. There's no medium to manipulate to move yourself in a vacuum.

The only way I can see this would work on a spacecraft is if you heated water into steam and shot it out the back of the ship. But that would be a significant waste of a very finite resource and would not produce much thrust.

Arjun Wasan said:
Hello I'm working on a project to create spacecraft engines that use fission to produce thrust. I will be coming up with many equations and I wanted to have them checked. If you could review them and give me some feedback that would be great. Here is the first equation that describes how the fission produces force:

(em*ea)*sc=sca

where: em - mass of energy released
ea - acceleration of energy released
sc - mass of spacecraft
sca - acceleration of spacecraft
its idea in general is very interesting but the equation does not demonstrate the rate of variation of the acceleration, that is in a celestial body approach its acceleration will have to assume the minimum possible, having this in mind you have to have control of the fission depending of the chemical compound you will use, but the idea is very good, continue to refine the calculations that you will go away, but the calculations can not take simplistic calculations.

Rockets powered by nuclear fission were under development in the USA from 1955 to 1972.
See Project Rover at Los Alamos.
And the NERVA and KIWI nuclear-powered rocket engines.

Likes Nik_2213
Oh that's cool. I didn't know that was a thing. Just saw a video that they're starting to look into it again as an engine for going to mars.

The USAF also did work on nuclear propulsion under the Timberwind program, with Grumman as the contractor.
I believe that the program got far enough in the engineering stage that hydrogen flow tests through electrically heated core simulations were performed.
It was ended sometime in the late 1970s, after a test glitch iirc.

NERVA and KIWI used actual fission reactors producing up to 1,000 MW of heat.
The incoming fuel was liquid hydrogen or ammonia, and ultrahot hydrogen went out the nozzle.

Likes Nik_2213
There is an interesting book, though a little dated - it was published in 1979. It discusses the Orion project among other things. One of the other things was how large a nuclear bomb would be needed to bring down the World Trade Towers - answer: about a kiloton. The name of the book is The Curve of Binding Energy.

skeptic2 said:
The name of the book is The Curve of Binding Energy.
Very interesting book. John McPhee is author.

Another is Freeman Dyson's "Disturbing the Universe" . He's about the last of the Manhattan project physicists. A truly 'Great Man' IMHO with an unusual amount of practical common sense..

Related to What are the equations for fission-based spacecraft propulsion?

What is fission space propulsion?

Fission space propulsion is a type of propulsion system that uses the energy from nuclear fission reactions to generate thrust and propel a spacecraft through space.

How does fission space propulsion work?

Fission space propulsion works by using a nuclear reactor to heat up a propellant, such as liquid hydrogen, to extremely high temperatures. This heated propellant is then expelled out of a nozzle at high speeds, creating thrust and propelling the spacecraft forward.

What are the advantages of fission space propulsion?

Fission space propulsion has several advantages, including high thrust and specific impulse (a measure of how efficiently a propulsion system uses fuel), which allows for faster and more efficient space travel. It also does not require large amounts of propellant, making it ideal for long-distance missions.

What are the potential risks of fission space propulsion?

The main risk of fission space propulsion is the release of radioactive materials into the environment in the event of a malfunction or accident. This could have serious consequences for both the spacecraft and any nearby planets or celestial bodies.

Is fission space propulsion currently being used?

While fission space propulsion has been tested in the past, it is not currently being used for space travel. However, there is ongoing research and development in this area, and it may be utilized in future space missions.