Calculating the Probability of Hitting a Spinning Fan with a Dart

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a five-bladed ceiling fan and shooting a dart through it at a specific speed. The probability of hitting the fan is being calculated using various constants such as the radius, blade width, and angular velocity. The conversation also mentions the need for more specific information about the fan, such as the shape of the blades and the probability distribution of where the dart is likely to land. The final part of the conversation reveals that the blades are about two feet long and the radius of fire is 1.5 feet, but more information is needed about the constants omega and v.
Char. Limit
Gold Member
Here's a question that I thought up while shooting darts through a five-bladed ceiling fan. I'm lazy, so I'll use symbols for the constants in the equation.

Say I have a five-bladed fan of radius R, with a blade width W, spinning at angular velocity V. I shoot a dart of length L through the fan at a speed S. What is the probability that I hit the fan?

Just do the equation, I'll fill in the measured constants later.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Char. Limit! :smile:

Calculate how long it takes the dart to pass through the fan, and how far round the fan goes in that time. Then subtract that distance from the distance between the blades. :wink:

Awesome problem. But there's something missing here. It looks like the blades are rectangular. So...we either need to specify some definite radius at which you throw the dart, or define precisely the probability distribution determining where in the circle you are likely to throw the dart.

Let's see what you come up with, mr./mrs. char!

The blades are about two feet long, and the radius of fire is about 1.5 feet.

And it's Mr. for future reference (learn something new every day.)

Ok, thanks. Just two questions: what do the omega and the little v represent? I've measured the other three (W=5.25 in, R=24 in, and L=3 in). Now I just need those two.

Man checks into hospital with dart buried up to hilt in forehead. Sez victim: "Who knew a ricochet could pack so much energy?" News at 11.

1. What factors affect the probability of hitting a spinning fan with a dart?

The factors that affect the probability of hitting a spinning fan with a dart include the speed of the fan, the size of the fan blades, the distance between the dart and the fan, and the accuracy of the dart throw.

2. How do you calculate the probability of hitting a spinning fan with a dart?

The probability can be calculated using the formula: (area of fan blades / total area of rotation) x (speed of fan / distance between dart and fan)^2. This formula takes into account the size of the fan, the speed of the fan, and the distance between the dart and the fan.

3. Can the probability of hitting a spinning fan with a dart be increased?

Yes, the probability can be increased by increasing the accuracy of the dart throw, decreasing the distance between the dart and the fan, or slowing down the speed of the fan.

4. Is there a way to decrease the risk of injury when attempting to hit a spinning fan with a dart?

Yes, the risk of injury can be decreased by using a blunt or foam-tipped dart, wearing protective gear, and ensuring that the fan is turned off before attempting the throw.

5. How accurate are the calculations for the probability of hitting a spinning fan with a dart?

The accuracy of the calculations depends on the accuracy of the measurements and assumptions made. Factors such as air resistance and wind can also affect the actual probability. It is important to note that these calculations are not foolproof and should be used as a guideline rather than a definitive answer.