Five Force Problems: 57 Homework Problems Solved with Expert Tips

• Thread starter slingersjilly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary: The Attempt at a SolutionFirst I discovered the normal gravitational force: (3.17kg)(9.81m/s2) = 31.098N Then resolved the two forces in order to find the total magnitude of the force: sqrt[13.8N^2 + 31.098N^2] = 34.022NThen I solved for the acceleration: 34.022N / 3.17kg = 10.7327m/s2This part is correct. However, to find the time it takes for the ball to hit the ground, you need to use the kinematic equation, x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at^2
slingersjilly
I know it seems like five is a lot of problems to need help with but these are out of a set of 57 homework problems. I've gotten all of the others but for some reason I can't nail down these last five. Any direction you can give me on any of these problems would be appreciated.

Homework Statement

Joe pushes down the length of the handle of a 10.8kg lawn spreader. The handle makes an angle of 41.5 degrees with the horizontal. Joe wishes to accelerate the spreader from rest to 1.33 m/s in 1.5 seconds. What force must Joe apply to the handle?

mass = 10.8 kg theta = 41.5 Vo = 0 Vf = 1.33 m/s t= 1.5s

Homework Equations

a= vf-vi / tf - ti
F= ma

The Attempt at a Solution

So first I solved for the acceleration: 1.33m/s / 1.5s = 0.88667 m/s2
I then plugged that into formula for force. (10.8kg)(0.88667m/s2) = 9.576N
Then I took the x component of the force at the angle: 9.576cos(41.5) = 7.1719N however this is not the correct answer.

Homework Statement

A 3.17 kg ball is dropped from the roof of a building 177.8 m high. While the ball is falling to Earth, a horizontal wind exerts a constant force of 13.8 N on the ball. How long does it take to hit the ground? The acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s2 .

mass = 3.17kg xy = 177.8m Fx = 13.8N g = 9.81 m/s2

Homework Equations

R = sqrt[(Rx)^2 + (Ry)^2]
F=ma
t2 = xf-xi / 2a

First I discovered the normal gravitational force: (3.17kg)(9.81m/s2) = 31.098N
Then resolved the two forces in order to find the total magnitude of the force: sqrt[13.8N^2 + 31.098N^2] = 34.022N
Then I solved for the acceleration: 34.022N / 3.17kg = 10.7327m/s2
And finally I can find the time: sqrt[177.8/(2)(10.7327m/s2) = 2.878s which is wrong

Homework Statement

The horizontal surface on which the block of mass 4.9 kg slides is frictionless. The force
of 54 N acts on the block in a horizontal direction. The force of 108 N acts on the block at an angle of 60 degrees as shown (south easternly). The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2. What is the magnitude of the resulting acceleration of the block?

mass = 4.9kg Fx = 54N F=108N theta = 60 g=9.8m/s2

Homework Equations

R = sqrt[(Rx)^2 + (Ry)^2]
F=ma

First I broke down the force into x and y components 108cos(60)= 54N 108sin(60)=93.53N
Then I added the forces on the x component which oppose each other so 54N - 54N = 0
Then I solved for the total magnitude of the force sqrt[0^2 + 93.53N^2] = 93.53N
Then I solved for acceleration 93.53N / 4.9kg = 19.0878 m/s2 also wrong

Homework Statement

A 26 kg block slides down a frictionless slope which is at angle θ = 30◦. Starting from rest,
the time to slide down is t = 1.46 s. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 . What total distance did the block slide?

mass = 26kg theta = 30 degrees Vo=0 t=1.46s g=9.8 m/s2

Homework Equations

F=mg
-mgcostheta= ma
x = 1/2at^2

So first I solved for the force: (26kg)(9.8m/s2) = 2548N
I then broke this down into components: Fx = 2548cos30=2206.6N Fy = 2548sin30=1274N
Then I solved for acceleration: I used the y component of the force because all of the example problems of inclines I have say to do this but it just feels wrong to me 1274N / 26kg = 49 m/s2
And now I can find the distance: 1/2(49m/s2)(1.46^2)=52.22 which I know is entirely too large.

Homework Statement

Two blocks with masses of 45.7 kg and 21.5 kg are stacked on a table with the heavier
block on top. The coefficient of static friction is 0.650 between the two blocks and 0.270
between the bottom block and the table. A horizontal force is slowly applied to the top
block until one of the blocks moves. c) What minimum value for the coefficient
of static friction between the masses and the table would cause the slippage to first happen
between the blocks?

mass1 = 45.7 kg mass2= 21.5kg mus(blocks)= 0.650 mus(table)= 0.270

from part a and b I have already solved for the friction force between the blocks and between the table and I know they are correct. Between the two blocks the friction force= 291.406N. Between the table and the bottom block the friction force= 177.81N

Homework Equations

I think this a theory question but I'm not sure

Because the coefficient of static friction between the table and the bottom block is slower I thought that was the answer. At that coefficient the bottom block will begin to slide given a lower amount of force but this is incorrect and I'm at a loss as to how to proceed.

I realize that several of these problems seem like they need to use a similar approach and obviously it's not something I have grasped yet. I'm a visual learner and haven't been able to see too many examples of these, if you could please break it down for me it would be so helpful. Thanks for the guidance

Physics news on Phys.org
slingersjilly said:

Homework Statement

Joe pushes down the length of the handle of a 10.8kg lawn spreader. The handle makes an angle of 41.5 degrees with the horizontal. Joe wishes to accelerate the spreader from rest to 1.33 m/s in 1.5 seconds. What force must Joe apply to the handle?

So first I solved for the acceleration: 1.33m/s / 1.5s = 0.88667 m/s2
I then plugged that into formula for force. (10.8kg)(0.88667m/s2) = 9.576N

the spreader accelerates in a horizontal direction. What you computed here is the horizontal
component of the force that joe pushes with.

slingersjilly said:
I

Homework Statement

A 3.17 kg ball is dropped from the roof of a building 177.8 m high. While the ball is falling to Earth, a horizontal wind exerts a constant force of 13.8 N on the ball. How long does it take to hit the ground? The acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s2 .

A horizontal force doesn't influence the falling time at all. If you have F = ma and F and are are vectors, then F and a must have the same direction, and both their horizontal and vertical components must be the same.

this means that [tex] F_{gravitation} = m * a_{vertical} [/tex] and the horizontal component of F or a doesn't matter at all.

Problem 3 I can't do without a graph.

With problem 4 you made an error in your computation here: (26kg)(9.8m/s2) = 2548N.

with all these slope problems you have to split all forces in components parallel and perpendicular to the slope.

1. What are the five forces in a Five Force Problem?

The five forces in a Five Force Problem are rivalry among existing competitors, threat of new entrants, bargaining power of suppliers, bargaining power of buyers, and threat of substitute products or services. These forces are used to analyze the competitive dynamics of an industry.

2. How do you assess the intensity of each force in a Five Force Problem?

The intensity of each force is assessed by considering factors such as the number and size of competitors, barriers to entry, supplier and buyer concentration, availability of substitute products or services, and industry regulations.

3. What is the purpose of conducting a Five Force Analysis?

The purpose of conducting a Five Force Analysis is to identify the key drivers of competition in an industry and assess the potential threats and opportunities for a company. This helps in making strategic decisions and developing effective competitive strategies.

4. Can a Five Force Analysis be used for any industry?

Yes, a Five Force Analysis can be used for any industry as it provides a systematic framework for understanding the competitive forces at play in a specific market. However, the factors and intensity of each force may vary depending on the industry.

5. How often should a Five Force Analysis be conducted?

A Five Force Analysis should be conducted periodically, especially when there are significant changes in the industry or market conditions. It is also important to regularly review and update the analysis to stay informed about the changing competitive landscape.