Fixing Equations in OpenOffice -> Word

• Thread starter daniel_i_l
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with exporting a document containing equations from OpenOffice.org to Word. The equations were not properly transferred and the person is seeking advice on what to do. The suggestion is to either explain to the person requiring the Word document that it is unreasonable to expect everyone to have access to the program, or to export the graphics as bitmaps and import them into Word. Another option would be to save the document in HTML and then open it in Word to save as a .doc file.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
I have a little problem. I have homework that I have to give in as a word document. But since I only have OpenOffice.org I wrote it in that using it's great formula editor to write equations. Then I exported it to a Word (.doc) file but when I opened it with word all the equations were messed up (for example the + sign was missing everywhere). What should I do?
Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Tell the person who requires you to write it in Word that it is unreasonable to expect you to use a program that is not available free of charge for all OSs. I'd leave the morals of using MS at all out of it. But anyone who requires you to use Word (and nothing else) for a maths project is in an indefensible position.

But anyone who requires you to use Word (and nothing else) for a maths project is in an indefensible position.

I wish this were the case, but their defense is simply "I was graduated with my degree without any training in an acceptable math writing software".

The poor teacher is not concerned about morals of using MS, he is just unable to work with other formats.

And my advice to the OP is to export the graphics as bitmaps, and import them into word.

Export it to PDF.

If you can't print it off in PDF or the teacher / lecturer won't accept it in PDF then I'd personally launch a complaint with the school / college/ university.

Your other less favourable option would be to save it in HTML, open it in Word, save it as .doc.

1. How do I convert equations from OpenOffice to Word?

To convert equations from OpenOffice to Word, you can follow these steps:

• 1. Open the document in OpenOffice that contains the equations you want to convert.
  • 2. Select all the equations you want to convert.
  • 3. Right-click on one of the selected equations and choose "Copy".
  • 4. Open a new document in Word and paste the equations into the document.
  • 5. The equations should now be converted and ready to use in Word.

2. Why are my equations not displaying correctly in Word after conversion?

There could be a few reasons for this. One common issue is that the fonts used in the equations may not be available in Word. To fix this, you can either install the missing fonts on your computer or change the fonts in the equations to ones that are available in Word. Another possible reason is that the equations in OpenOffice may use a different formatting system than Word, so some adjustments may need to be made manually.

3. Can I edit the equations in Word after conversion?

Yes, you can edit the equations in Word after conversion. However, keep in mind that some formatting may be lost or changed during the conversion process. It is recommended to make any necessary edits in OpenOffice before converting to ensure the equations display correctly in Word.

4. How can I ensure that my equations will convert accurately from OpenOffice to Word?

To ensure accurate conversion, it is important to use the same equation editor in both OpenOffice and Word. This will help to maintain consistency in the formatting and display of the equations. Additionally, it is best to keep the equations simple and avoid using advanced features that may not be supported in both programs.

5. Is there a way to batch convert equations from OpenOffice to Word?

Unfortunately, there is no built-in feature for batch conversion of equations from OpenOffice to Word. However, there are third-party tools available that can assist with batch conversion. It is important to research and choose a reliable tool to ensure accurate conversion of your equations.