Flow From a Tank through a Pipe

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a program to model a tabletop water tunnel, specifically focusing on the flow out of a tank through a pipe. The use of the assumption that the pressure in the pipe is the same as atmospheric is questioned, and the need to determine the pressure in the pipe and account for surface roughness effects is addressed. It is noted that the pressure gradient is what drives the water flow, with the pressure being dependent on the height of the tank at one end and close to atmospheric at the other end. The roughness of the pipe's surface also affects the flow rate.
kicks66
Im looking to create a program which models a tabletop water tunnel. One part of the system involves flow out of a tank through a pipe. So far I have used the assumption that the pressure in the pipe is the same as atmospheric but I feel this is wrong, and therefore my use of SQRT(2*g*height difference) is incorrect to calculate the velocity out of the pipe. How would I go about finding the pressure in the pipe? And how would I take into account surface roughness effects along the length of pipe?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The pressure varies through the pipe. In fact, the pressure gradient is what makes the water flow.

At the tank end, yes the pressure is dependent on "head" meaning the pressure dependent on height of the tank.

At the far end, yes pressure is pretty close to atmospheric.

Yes roughness matters, but in proportion to flow. The rougher the surface the more resistance to flow. If your tank has fixed height, the the resistance of the pipe determines how fast the water flows out.

1. What is the equation for flow from a tank through a pipe?

The equation for flow from a tank through a pipe is Q = A * v, where Q is the flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe, and v is the velocity of the fluid.

2. How does the diameter of the pipe affect the flow rate?

The diameter of the pipe directly affects the flow rate. A larger diameter pipe will have a higher flow rate, as it has a larger cross-sectional area and can accommodate more fluid at a given velocity.

3. What factors affect the velocity of the fluid in the pipe?

The velocity of the fluid in the pipe can be affected by several factors, including the pressure difference between the tank and the end of the pipe, the length and diameter of the pipe, and any obstructions or bends in the pipe.

4. How does the height of the tank affect the flow rate?

The height of the tank, also known as the head, affects the flow rate by creating pressure that pushes the fluid through the pipe. The higher the tank is, the greater the head and the higher the flow rate.

5. Can the type of fluid in the tank affect the flow rate through the pipe?

Yes, the type of fluid in the tank can affect the flow rate through the pipe. Factors such as viscosity and density can impact the velocity of the fluid and therefore affect the flow rate. Additionally, different fluids may have different pressure and head requirements for a certain flow rate.