Flow Rate of a Deflation Balloon

In summary, a drug delivery infusion pump made of thick synthetic rubber and with a small outlet delivers a nearly constant flow rate of 5mL/hr for a total of 100 hours, as the 500mL liquid drug is depleted. To determine the flow rate as a function of time, one can use a piecewise function with a constant flow rate of 5mL/hr until 100 hours, after which the flow rate drops to 0. The temperature and drug viscosity also affect the flow rate, with lower viscosity resulting in a higher flow rate. To establish a model, the Poiseuille-Hagen equation can be used, but further details are needed.
wuyx724
A drug delivery infusion pump is made out of thick synthetic rubber and has a very small outlet. The balloon pump is filled with 500mL liquid drug and is now inflated into a ball shape. The drug will exit from the very small outlet at a nearly (but not always) constant flow rate of 5mL/hr (takes 100hr to deplete).

How can I derive the flow rate as a function of time?
I'd also like to know how the temperature and drug viscosity affect the flow rate.

Someone suggested me to use Poiseuille-Hagen equation, but I need to know more details, especially how I can relate the flow rate to time and establish a model.

Your insight will be highly appreciated!
:smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
wuyx724 said:
A drug delivery infusion pump is made out of thick synthetic rubber and has a very small outlet. The balloon pump is filled with 500mL liquid drug and is now inflated into a ball shape. The drug will exit from the very small outlet at a nearly (but not always) constant flow rate of 5mL/hr (takes 100hr to deplete).

How can I derive the flow rate as a function of time?
I'd also like to know how the temperature and drug viscosity affect the flow rate.
the flow rate is constant meaning it remains at 5ml/hr until 100hr is surpassed. so i'd be a piecewise function that looks like this:

given x is time in hours and y is in ml/hr
if 0<x<100 then y=5
if x>100 then y=0

the temperature and viscosity are almost always related in such a manner
as temperature rises viscosity drops and vice-versa
and if viscosity drops then flow rate is usually increased.

FAQ: Flow Rate of a Deflation Balloon

What is the flow rate of a deflation balloon?

The flow rate of a deflation balloon refers to the rate at which air or gas is released from the balloon as it deflates.

What factors affect the flow rate of a deflation balloon?

The flow rate of a deflation balloon is primarily affected by the size of the balloon, the pressure inside the balloon, and the size of the opening through which the air or gas is released.

How is the flow rate of a deflation balloon measured?

The flow rate of a deflation balloon can be measured by timing how long it takes for the balloon to fully deflate or by using specialized equipment such as a flow meter.

Is the flow rate of a deflation balloon constant?

No, the flow rate of a deflation balloon is not constant. It typically starts off at a higher rate and then decreases as the balloon deflates and the pressure inside decreases.

How does the flow rate of a deflation balloon affect its flight?

The flow rate of a deflation balloon can affect its flight by changing the buoyancy of the balloon. A faster flow rate can cause the balloon to descend more quickly, while a slower flow rate can allow the balloon to maintain its altitude for a longer period of time.

Back