Flowrate and Pressure Calculation

In summary, we have an atmospheric pressure circular tank of X meter diameter and Y meter height, connected to a pipeline with a diameter of z meters. To calculate the maximum flow-rate of the pipe when the tank is completely filled, we can use the Bernoulli equation with certain assumptions. The subsequent pressure drop can also be calculated using this equation, but we may be missing a variable.
Arin_Mukherji
There is an atmospheric pressure circular tank of X meter diameter and Y meter height. A pipeline is connected to the bottom of the tank. The diameter of the pipe is z meters.
a) How can we calculate the maximum flow-rate of the pipe when the tank is completely filled?
b) How can we calculate the subsequent pressure drop ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Arin_Mukherji said:
There is an atmospheric pressure circular tank of X meter diameter and Y meter height. A pipeline is connected to the bottom of the tank. The diameter of the pipe is z meters.
a) How can we calculate the maximum flow-rate of the pipe when the tank is completely filled?
b) How can we calculate the subsequent pressure drop ?

What are your thoughts?

What equations do you know regarding this type of problem?

CS

I think I am missing one variable here. I can't use bernouly equation here. I don't know what to use.

Arin_Mukherji said:
I think I am missing one variable here. I can't use bernouly equation here. I don't know what to use.

You can use Bernoulli with a few assumptions. Write out the equation and list all known variables.

CS

1. What is flow rate?

Flow rate is the measurement of how much fluid is moving through a specific point in a given amount of time. It is typically measured in volume per unit time, such as liters per minute or cubic meters per second.

2. How is flow rate calculated?

Flow rate is calculated by dividing the volume of fluid that has passed through a point in a given amount of time. This can be represented by the formula Q = V/t, where Q is the flow rate, V is the volume, and t is the time.

3. What factors affect flow rate?

Flow rate can be affected by a number of factors, including the size and shape of the pipe or channel, the viscosity of the fluid, and the pressure and temperature of the fluid. Other factors such as obstructions, bends, and friction can also affect flow rate.

4. What is pressure?

Pressure is the force exerted by a fluid on the walls of its container or on any object within the fluid. It is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

5. How is pressure calculated?

Pressure is calculated by dividing the force exerted by a fluid by the area over which the force is exerted. This can be represented by the formula P = F/A, where P is the pressure, F is the force, and A is the area. In fluid dynamics, pressure is often calculated using Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the velocity and density of the fluid as well.