Find Fluid Flow Pump to Hit Plate Radially - 50-75 Knots

In summary, the individual is looking for a specific type and model of pump to fit their application, which involves forcing water through a 4-5 inch diameter pipe onto a plate with a 3 inch gap between two plates. The key requirement is to achieve a fluid flow of 50-75 knots from the center of the lower plate to the outer edges of the top plate. They are seeking a lightweight, cheap, and electric DC pump for this purpose and are open to suggestions. They also request for a sketch to help clarify their question.
urbsurfer
Hello,
I cannot figure out which pump or size of pump would fit the need I have. Can you please review the need and recommend a type and pump model/specification that you think would work for this application?

I need to have a fluid flow of these specs, I don't have any constraints or structural limitations as it is just concept for now based on other similar units.

I need to have fluid come in from a pipe of maybe 4 to 5 inch diameter that must hit a plate that will force the fluid to the outer edge of the plate in all 360 degrees. The cavity is 3" height between the two plates.
Something like what a radial flow impeller does to the fluid but don't want to use an impeller. Just a small conical structure in the center point of impact from incoming pipe flow. The top plate is 28 inches in diameter.

The key need is to have a fluid flow of 50 to 75 Knots at the 9" mark from center point going out to the outer edges of the plate. So the cavity looks like two pancakes with a 3 inch gap from top plate to lower plate. The water needs to enter from the center of the lower pancake hit the top pancake in the center and force the water radially at 50-75knots. Looking for lightweight, cheap, electric DC pump that can do this.
please email me at mirequest@yahoo.com with any replies. I would really appreciate it.
I think I will need a large GPM rather than head.

Engineering news on Phys.org
With my apologies, I can't follow the question. Any chance that you can post a sketch of what you're talking about?

You want to push water thru a 5" pipe at 70mph?

maybe you could use the propulsion pump from a jet boat. It would be gas or diesel powered. I don't think there is a DC motor out there that will do what you are talking about.

1. What is the purpose of finding a fluid flow pump to hit a plate radially at 50-75 knots?

The purpose of this experiment is to study the impact of fluid flow at high speeds on a stationary plate. This type of research is important in understanding the effects of fluid flow on structures, such as airplanes or ships, that move at high velocities through fluids like air or water.

2. How do you determine the appropriate fluid flow pump for this experiment?

The appropriate fluid flow pump is determined by considering factors such as the desired velocity range, flow rate, and pressure requirements. Additionally, the type of fluid being used and the size and shape of the plate being hit should also be taken into account.

3. What is the significance of hitting the plate radially?

Hitting the plate radially means that the fluid flow is directed towards the center of the plate. This allows for a more controlled and uniform impact, which is important in obtaining accurate and reliable data for the experiment.

4. What is the range of speed (knots) being tested in this experiment?

The speed range being tested in this experiment is between 50-75 knots, which is equivalent to approximately 57-86 miles per hour or 92-138 kilometers per hour. This range was chosen as it represents high speeds that are relevant to real-world scenarios.

5. How can the results of this experiment be applied in real-life situations?

The results of this experiment can be applied in various industries, such as aerospace and maritime, to improve the design and efficiency of structures that move at high speeds through fluids. This research can also aid in understanding and predicting the effects of fluid flow on these structures, leading to safer and more efficient transportation.