Fluid Mechanics: Choosing a fuel line diameter for a required pressure drop

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
NickH21
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement

[/B]
DB12A289-8491-4A73-A393-066E40D79639.jpeg


Homework Equations

- The pressure drop equation. [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution


10A0EB59-5CCC-4C30-A075-E20471C5A1CB.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • DB12A289-8491-4A73-A393-066E40D79639.jpeg
    DB12A289-8491-4A73-A393-066E40D79639.jpeg
    32.8 KB · Views: 971
  • 10A0EB59-5CCC-4C30-A075-E20471C5A1CB.jpeg
    10A0EB59-5CCC-4C30-A075-E20471C5A1CB.jpeg
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,020
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi NickH21,

Your thread title is too general. Please make sure that your thread title is descriptive of the actual problem so that the Homeowrk Helpers with the correct skill set can quickly spot your thread. This time I will change your title to read: 'Fluid Mechanics: Choosing a fuel line diameter for a required pressure drop'.

Can you type out your Relevant equation(s) and define the variables? There are several possible pressure drop equations.
Can you explain where the numbers come from in your attempt? There isn't an obvious correlation between them and the given values in the problem statement; is there more work you haven't shown?

Also, Please take a moment to read the thread, Guidelines for students and helpers, which you can find pinned at the top of each of the homework forums. It gives an overview of how to create an effective homework help request following the posting rules.
 
You seem to be assuming you have laminar flow, when the problem statement strongly hints that the flow is turbulent. Have you calculated a Reynolds number?
 
Chestermiller said:
You seem to be assuming you have laminar flow, when the problem statement strongly hints that the flow is turbulent. Have you calculated a Reynolds number?
Yes. I’ve got my Reynolds number, but that’s where I’m confused at. I just don’t know where to go from there.
 
Are you familiar with how to get the pressure drop in pipe flow using friction factor and Reynolds number?

Where did you get that value for the diameter from?
Do you really think that a flow velocity of 524 m/s is realistic?
 
Chestermiller said:
Are you familiar with how to get the pressure drop in pipe flow using friction factor and Reynolds number?

Where did you get that value for the diameter from?
Do you really think that a flow velocity of 524 m/s is realistic?
I’m not to sure how to find the pressure drop with the friction factor. I’m not familiar with that equation.
 
NickH21 said:
I’m not to sure how to find the pressure drop with the friction factor. I’m not familiar with that equation.
Then you need to find out about it in your fluid mechanics book, or wherever this problem came from.