Fluid mechanics / flow problem

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a power-law fluid with specific density and flow rate, and determining the pressure drop and center-line velocity in a pipe. The speaker has calculated the center-line velocity but is unsure how to calculate the pressure drop. They mention the use of the power law model but are still unsure how to proceed and ask for help.
stevemilw
Here is the problem i am trying to solve;
A power-law fluid has a density of 1075 kg/m3. It is pumped at a rate of 2500 kg/hour through a pipe of internal diameter 25 mm.The flow is laminar and the power law constants are K2 = 3 Pa.s^n and n = 0.5. Estimate the pressure drop over a 10 m straight length of pipe and the centre-line velocity for these conditions.

Okay, so i believe i have calculated the center line velocity as follows. My problem is, i am unsure of how to calculate the pressure drop across the length of the pipe.

Power law = shear stress = K(du/dy)^n

mass flow rate = density * area*velocity

therefore: (after calculating area and dividing mass flow rate by 3600)

V = 0.6944 / 1075 * 0.000491 = 1.3156 m^3s^-1

Now, I am unsure how to proceed. I am guessing the power law equation has some thing to do with the pressure change.
Im thinking about using bernouilles equation, but there isn't enough information for me to use it. So I am guessin i have to use the power law model in order to gaather enough data.

thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is no one answering my question because they don't understand what I am asking? Or have i not provided enough information?
Any help is appreciated.
thank you

Related to Fluid mechanics / flow problem

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the properties and behavior of fluids, including liquids, gases, and plasmas. It involves understanding how fluids move and interact with their surroundings, as well as how they are affected by forces and energy.

2. What is the difference between laminar and turbulent flow?

Laminar flow refers to smooth and orderly flow of a fluid, where all particles move in a parallel direction. Turbulent flow, on the other hand, is characterized by chaotic and irregular movement of particles, with eddies and vortices forming. The transition from laminar to turbulent flow depends on factors such as flow velocity, fluid viscosity, and surface roughness.

3. How is the velocity of a fluid determined?

The velocity of a fluid can be determined through various methods, such as using a flow meter, measuring the pressure drop across a pipe, or using flow visualization techniques. In general, the velocity of a fluid is influenced by factors such as flow rate, viscosity, and the geometry of the flow path.

4. What is Bernoulli's principle and how is it applied in fluid mechanics?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This principle is often used in fluid mechanics to analyze the flow of a fluid through a pipe or over an object. It helps to determine factors such as the lift force on an aircraft wing or the flow rate through a nozzle.

5. How does fluid mechanics apply to real-world problems?

Fluid mechanics has many practical applications in our daily lives. It is used in designing and optimizing systems such as pumps, turbines, and engines. It also plays a crucial role in understanding weather patterns, ocean currents, and other natural phenomena. Additionally, fluid mechanics is essential in industries such as aviation, automotive, and chemical engineering.