How Does a Homogeneous Fluid Behave in a Rotating Cylinder?

In summary, the problem is to consider a homogeneous self-gravitating fluid of uniform density contained within a rotating cylinder, and find the condition for the fluid to be in equilibrium with no pressure gradients. Part a shows that the gravitational force per unit mass is directed radially towards the axis and perpendicular to it. Part b involves setting the pressure gradient to zero and finding the condition for the fluid to be in equilibrium, which is achieved by also setting the fluid's velocity to zero. This means that the fluid is not experiencing any acceleration or pressure changes, and is essentially standing still in the rotating frame.
xnd996
Here is the problem: (Question 5-2 in Binney&Tremaine Galactic Dynamics)
Consider a homogeneous self-gravitating fluid of uniform density [tex]\rho_0[/tex] contained within a rotating cylinder of radius [tex]R_0[/tex]. The cylinder and the fluid rotate at angular speed [tex]\Omega[/tex] about the axis of the cylinder, which we take to be the [tex]z[/tex]-axis, so [tex]{\bf\Omega} = \Omega\hat{\bf z}[/tex].

(a) Show that the gravitational force per unit mass at distance [tex]r[/tex] from the axis is

[tex]\begin{displaymath} -\nabla\phi = -2\pi G\rho_0 (x\hat{\bf x} + y\hat{\bf y}), \end{displaymath}[/tex]

directed radially toward the axis and perpendicular to it.

(b) Euler's equation for the fluid in the rotating frame is

[tex]\begin{displaymath} \frac{\partial{\bf v}}{\partial t} + ({\bf v}\cdot\nabla) \bf v = - \frac{\nabla P} {\rho}- \nabla \phi - 2 \Omega \times{\bf v} + \Omega^2 (x\hat{\bf x} + y\hat{\bf y})\,. \end{displaymath}[/tex]

Find the condition on [tex]\Omega[/tex] such that the fluid is in equilibrium with no pressure gradients (i.e. no Jeans swindle).

My problem:
So I understand part a but I am having difficulty with part b.

There are no pressure gradients so you set [tex] \nabla P [/tex] which leaves you with
[tex]\begin{displaymath} \frac{\partial{\bf v}}{\partial t} + ({\bf v}\cdot\nabla) \bf v = - \nabla \phi - 2 \Omega \times{\bf v} + \Omega^2 (x\hat{\bf x} + y\hat{\bf y})\,. \end{displaymath}[/tex]

I know you are also supposed to set [tex]v = 0 [/tex] (I know this because I have an answer key that says set [tex]v = 0 [/tex]) but why?

My question:
What part of this question implies that [tex]v = 0 [/tex]? Is it zero because it is in equilibrium? What does it mean for the fluid to be in equilibrium? I would like a little help with this concept please.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me that a rotating fluid creates a force and thus pressure. I imagine that to keep pressure either constant or zero, the velocity should be zero as well. I could be wrong though.

May be the fluid in the rotating frame is standing still.
v=0 in this frame.

What is the Coriolis effect?

The Coriolis effect is the apparent deflection of moving objects on a rotating surface. In the context of fluids, it refers to the tendency of fluids to deflect to the right in the Northern Hemisphere and to the left in the Southern Hemisphere due to the Earth's rotation.

How does the rotation of the Earth affect ocean currents?

The rotation of the Earth generates the Coriolis effect, which in turn influences the direction of ocean currents. This leads to the formation of large circular gyres in the major ocean basins, as well as the development of smaller eddies and currents.

What is the difference between a rotating frame and an inertial frame?

An inertial frame is a reference frame in which Newton's laws of motion hold true, while a rotating frame is a reference frame that is itself rotating. In a rotating frame, the Coriolis and centrifugal forces must be taken into account when applying Newton's laws.

How does the Coriolis effect impact weather patterns?

The Coriolis effect plays a crucial role in the formation of weather patterns, as it influences the direction and strength of winds. In the Northern Hemisphere, the Coriolis effect causes winds to rotate clockwise around high pressure systems and counterclockwise around low pressure systems.

What is the relationship between the Coriolis effect and the conservation of angular momentum?

The Coriolis effect is a manifestation of the conservation of angular momentum in a rotating frame. As the Earth rotates, the angular momentum of the system is conserved, resulting in the deflection of moving objects. This principle is also applied in the design of rotating machinery, such as turbines and pumps.