1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FLUIDS: Potential Flow Question - HELP NEEDED

1. May 1, 2013 #1
    FLUIDS: Potential Flow Question -- URGENT HELP NEEDED

I need to submit this soon and I am way behind in this topic. I would appreciate it a lot if you can help me out figure the answer.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a uniform onset flow of 7 m/s parallel with the x axis, a source of strength 19 m2/s per metre is located at the origin (x=0, y=0) and a sink of equal strength is located at (x=2, y=0). Locate the x axis position of the most upstream stagnation point.

Diagram:
    image.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    I think it will be these:
    Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution
    Figuring out the stream function:
    Psi = (lambda / 2pi)(theta_1 - theta_2)
    v=7m/s

Brain%20Overload.jpg

Ugh.. please just help me out on this. It's 5% of the unit. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2013 #2
    The velocity of the flow from the 19 m2/s source is [itex]\frac{19}{2π\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/itex] and is directed radially outward.

The velocity of the flow from the 19 m2/s sink is [itex]-\frac{19}{2π\sqrt{(x-2)^2+y^2}}[/itex], and is directed radially outward.

According to the problem statement, the stagnation point is along the x axis (y = 0).

The combined overall velocity along the x axis is U + ?? + ??. What are the ??'s?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted