FLUIDS: Potential Flow Question - HELP NEEDED

The first ?? comes from the flow from the source, and the second ?? comes from the flow from the sink.In summary, the problem involves a uniform onset flow of 7 m/s with a source and sink located at specific coordinates. The goal is to find the x-axis position of the most upstream stagnation point. The solution involves calculating the stream function and combining the velocities from the source and sink to determine the stagnation point.
EngrDelaCruz
FLUIDS: Potential Flow Question -- URGENT HELP NEEDED

I need to submit this soon and I am way behind in this topic. I would appreciate it a lot if you can help me out figure the answer.

Homework Statement

In a uniform onset flow of 7 m/s parallel with the x axis, a source of strength 19 m2/s per metre is located at the origin (x=0, y=0) and a sink of equal strength is located at (x=2, y=0). Locate the x-axis position of the most upstream stagnation point.

Diagram:
image.jpg

Homework Equations

I think it will be these:
Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Figuring out the stream function:
Psi = (lambda / 2pi)(theta_1 - theta_2)
v=7m/s

Brain%20Overload.jpg

Ugh.. please just help me out on this. It's 5% of the unit. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The velocity of the flow from the 19 m2/s source is [itex]\frac{19}{2π\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/itex] and is directed radially outward.

The velocity of the flow from the 19 m2/s sink is [itex]-\frac{19}{2π\sqrt{(x-2)^2+y^2}}[/itex], and is directed radially outward.

According to the problem statement, the stagnation point is along the x-axis (y = 0).

The combined overall velocity along the x-axis is U + ?? + ??. What are the ??'s?

1. What is potential flow in fluids?

Potential flow is a type of fluid flow in which the velocity of the fluid at any point is equal to the gradient of a scalar potential function. This means that the flow is irrotational, meaning that there is no vorticity or spin at any point in the fluid. Potential flow is often used as an idealized model for real fluid flow situations.

2. How is potential flow different from real fluid flow?

Potential flow is a simplified model of real fluid flow. In real fluid flow, there are often factors such as viscosity, turbulence, and boundary effects that can affect the flow. In potential flow, these factors are neglected, making it an idealized model for understanding basic fluid dynamics principles.

3. What are some applications of potential flow in engineering and science?

Potential flow is commonly used in aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, and other engineering and scientific fields to model and predict fluid behavior. It is often used in the design of aircraft wings, ship hulls, and other streamlined objects. It is also used in weather forecasting, ocean currents, and other natural fluid systems.

4. How is potential flow calculated and analyzed?

Potential flow is typically calculated and analyzed using mathematical equations and principles, such as Bernoulli's equation and the continuity equation. These equations can be solved using various methods, including analytical solutions, numerical simulations, and experimental techniques.

5. What are some limitations of potential flow in fluid dynamics?

While potential flow is a useful tool for understanding and predicting fluid behavior, it has some limitations. It assumes that the fluid is inviscid (no friction), incompressible, and flows in a steady state. It also cannot account for factors such as turbulence, boundary layers, and flow separation, which are important in real fluid flow situations.