1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flux 2

1. Jul 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to find the flux of this vector field (in the pic) that goes through this plan (in the pic) and z goes from 0 to 1.
    How am I suppose to do that?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      4.6 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The surface is [itex]z= \sqrt{x^2+ y^2}[/itex], the upper nappe of a cone. In cylindrical coordinates, that is z= r. So good parametic equations would be [itex]x= r cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y= r sin(\theta)[/itex], [itex]z= r[/itex] which means that the vector equation would be
    [itex]\vec{r}(r, \theta)= r cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ r sin(\theta)\vec{j}+ r \vec{k}[/itex]. Since z goes from 0 to 1, r goes from 0 to 1 and [itex]theta[/itex], of course, from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex].

Does that help?

4. Jul 30, 2008 #3
    Check this out, is that what you meant?

Attached Files:

5. Jul 31, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Once you have done the cross product, and the integral, yes, that should be correct. I would recommend you do the integrations with respect to [itex]\theta[/itex] first. Most of those trig functions, integrated from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex] will give 0.

6. Jul 31, 2008 #5
    10x a lot.

7. Jul 31, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

10-4 good buddy!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?