Flux, Capacitance, Difference Potential, and Volt

In summary, the speaker is asking for explanations on the concepts of flux, capacitance, difference potential, and voltage in electricity and magnetism. They are also seeking clarification on the meaning of numbers when solving for these concepts. The responder advises the speaker to first study and understand the basics of electronics before seeking help. They suggest using online resources to learn and keep track of their progress.
robwashere
I have a question about electricity and magnetism. My teacher went through these chapters in 3 days, and I am completely confused. Can some body please explain what exactly is flux, capacitance, difference potential, and voltage? And can you also explain to my what the number stands for when solving for each one? (Ex. 3 Volt, what does that mean?)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone there?

robwashere: Welcome to Physics Forums!

No one here will spend time and energy teaching you these BASICS of electronics. That would be called “spoon feeding the student”. First you need to study and try to grasp the concepts…they are NOT difficult or complicated. After you make your efforts, and if you have some specific doubts or questions, then definitely return here and ask them. Many experienced scientists and engineers here are ready to help you.

Google "basic electronics". Here are two sites to get you started. Keep a notebook.

Study Phase I: Electricity and Phase II: Components

http://101science.com/Radio.htm

This site is good introduction for people who have never studied electronics:

http://www.clear.rice.edu/elec201/Book/basic_elec.html

What is flux and how is it related to capacitance?

Flux is a measure of the flow of an electric field through a surface. It is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field and the surface area. Capacitance, on the other hand, is a measure of the ability of a system to store electric charge. The two are related because the amount of flux passing through a surface is directly proportional to the capacitance of the system.

What is difference potential and how is it different from voltage?

Difference potential is a measure of the potential difference between two points in an electric field. It is calculated by taking the difference in potential between the two points. Voltage, on the other hand, is a measure of the potential difference between two points in a circuit. While they both measure potential difference, difference potential specifically refers to electric fields, whereas voltage can refer to any type of potential difference.

How do I calculate the capacitance of a system?

The capacitance of a system can be calculated by dividing the amount of charge stored in the system by the potential difference across the system. It can also be calculated by taking the ratio of the electric flux through the system to the potential difference across the system.

What is the relationship between capacitance and voltage?

Capacitance and voltage have an inverse relationship, meaning that as capacitance increases, voltage decreases, and vice versa. This relationship can be seen in the formula C = Q/V, where Q represents charge and V represents voltage.

How does capacitance affect the behavior of a circuit?

The capacitance of a circuit affects the amount of charge that can be stored in the system and how quickly that charge can be transferred. A higher capacitance means more charge can be stored, and a lower capacitance means less charge can be stored. It also affects the rate of change of voltage in the circuit, as a higher capacitance will take longer to charge and discharge compared to a lower capacitance.