Flux in an Electric Field: Understanding and Calculating Flux through Surfaces

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding an image and the calculation of flux through each side. It is mentioned that the total flux is 0 and the flux through each side is calculated using an integral. However, there is confusion about the correct equation to use. One person suggests using the vector dot product and explains how to calculate it. The conversation ends with someone asking for clarification on the normal vector and dA.
drfischer1
hello everybody,
this is a question that has been buffeling me for a while. everything is in this image: http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/5213/58136160lu9.jpg

i know 2 things:
1. the total (vector) flux is 0 (no charge inside the cube)
2. the flux through each side is [tex]\int_{S}*E dA[/tex]
so I've tried
(the flux through shaded) = - (all the rest)
and calculating each side separately but i just don't get it right!
iv'e been integrating since yesterday morning and i have no confidence in my integrals anymore... :-(

could someone explain what I'm missing please?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is just a 'latex issue' but the correct equation should be:
[tex]\phi_E = \oint_S \vec{E} \cdot \vec{dA}[/tex]
(note in particular the use of the vector dot product)

If I haven't missunderstood something there aren't that much integration involved. Everytime you dot with dA you'll get a scalar and a dobbel integral from 0 to 80 cm

yes, there won't actually be an integral to evaluate, if you're tricky (but you can do it with an integral if you want). The first thing you have to do is dot the E field with the vector dA. remember that:

[tex] \vec{dA} = \frac{\vec{n}}{|\vec{n}|}|\vec{dA}|[/tex]
this normal vector is the one that is normal to the surface that you will be integrating over. So, in totality, you get:
[tex]\phi_E = \int \int_S \vec{E} \cdot \frac{\vec{n}}{|\vec{n}|}|\vec{dA}| [/tex]

So, what is your normal vector, and what is dA?

FAQ: Flux in an Electric Field: Understanding and Calculating Flux through Surfaces

What is flux in an electric field?

Flux in an electric field is a measure of the flow of electric field through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of volts.

How is flux calculated?

Flux is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field and the area vector. It can also be calculated by integrating the electric field over the given area.

What is the relationship between flux and electric field?

The electric field is directly proportional to the flux, meaning that as the electric field increases, so does the flux. This relationship is given by the equation Φ = E*A, where E is the electric field and A is the area.

What is the unit of measurement for flux in an electric field?

The unit of measurement for flux in an electric field is volt-meters (V-m) or newton-meters squared per coulomb (N-m2/C).

What is the significance of flux in an electric field?

Flux is an important concept in understanding the behavior of electric fields. It helps us understand the flow of electric field through a given area and is essential in many practical applications, such as determining the strength of electric fields in electronic devices.