1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flux in spherical coordinates

1. Apr 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the rate at which muons pass through a flat plate of area A.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]J_{1}=\int_{\theta\leq\frac{\pi}{2}}j(\theta,\phi)cos\theta d\Omega[/tex]
    [tex]d\Omega[/tex] = sin[tex]\theta d\phi d\theta[/tex] in spherical coordinates.
    [tex]j(\theta,\phi)[/tex] is the angular distribution of muons at sea level.
    At sea level [tex]j(\theta,\phi) \approx cos^{2}\theta[/tex]
    More specifically [tex]j(\theta = 0,\phi) \equiv I_{v}[/tex] which equals the flux per unit solid angle per unit horizontal area per second about the vertical direction.
    [tex]I_{v} = 1.1*10^{2}m^{-2}sec^{-1}sterad^{-1}[/tex] for all penetrating particles at sea level of which 75% are muons.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm very confused about spherical coordinates... this equation is just a tiny part of my muon lifetime prac but I'm not sure at all how to go about this integral. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My attempt is as follows:
    [tex]J_{1}=0.75* \int_{\theta\leq\frac{\pi}{2}} I_{v} cos\theta sin\theta d\phi d\theta[/tex]
    [tex]J_{1}=0.75* 1/2 \int_{\theta\leq\frac{\pi}{2}} I_{v} sin2\theta d\phi d\theta[/tex]

this is where I get stuck... I know that the integral of [tex]sin2\theta[\tex] is [tex]-1/2 cos2\theta[\tex]... but I'm confused about what I'm evaluating between... and what to do with the [tex]\phi[\tex] after that step...

Thanks in advance!
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted