1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flux Through a Cylinder

1. Dec 11, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the attached image.

2. Relevant equations
    Gradient(x, y, z) * <f, g, h> = <fx, gy, hz>

3. The attempt at a solution
    Because the cylinder's not capped, I know that all the flux will be in the radial direction. So, I can find a normal vector by finding the gradient of the cylinder: n = <2x, 0, 2z>/(2sqrt(x^2+z^2)) = <x, 0, z>/sqrt(x^2+z^2)

Now, I want to put this in terms of t (the angle) and h (y):
    r(t, y) = <acos(t), h, asin(t)>
    Where: y: (-2, 2) and t: [0, 2pi)

Now we can rewrite the integrand:
    <acos(t)/sqrt(a), 0, asin(t)/sqrt(a)> * <acos(t)/sqrt(a), 0, asin(t)/sqrt(a)> dS
    =(a^2cos^2(t) + a^2sin^2(t))/a dS
    =a dS

Now, the only thing I'm confused by (assuming everything else is right), is what to do with dS. I know it needs to be put in terms of dt and dh (where I already have the limits of integration), but I am unsure of how to perform this conversion.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Isn't the vector ## \vec{E }## of the field used in this flux equation simply a unit vector in the radially outward direction? If it is, (and I don't know that I should be giving you this much of the answer, but the problem is almost trivial), isn't the flux equal to the surface area?

4. Dec 11, 2017 #3
    I believe the answer should be a multiplied by the surface area, but I a unsure how to properly evaluate the integral, converting dS to be in terms of dt and dh.

5. Dec 11, 2017 #4

Charles Link

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't need to do any conversion. Surface area ## S=\pi a^2 h ##.

6. Dec 11, 2017 #5
    Okay. Just curious though, how would I perform that conversion in a less trivial case?

7. Dec 11, 2017 #6

Charles Link

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Surface integrals in the general case can take much effort to evaluate. The problem, I think, was designed to keep it simple.

8. Dec 11, 2017 #7

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

In the general case, where you have a surface parametrised by the two variables ##t## and ##s##, the directed surface element is given by
    $$
    \newcommand{\dd}[2]{\frac{\partial #1}{\partial #2}}
    d\vec S = \vec n \, dS = \dd{\vec x}{t} \times \dd{\vec x}{s} dt\, ds,
    $$
    where ##\vec x## is the position vector (which on the surface is parametrised by ##t## and ##s##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted