Calculating Flux Through a Sphere: Fluid Density and Velocity Field Analysis

In summary, the conversation is about finding the rate of flow outward through a sphere using the given velocity field and density. The speaker has found n and F dot n and converted to spherical coordinates, but their integral is set up incorrectly. Another person suggests using Gauss' law to verify the answer, which leads to a discussion about the surface area element and the role of density in the calculation.
glid02
Here's the question:

A fluid has density 2 and velocity field http://ada.math.uga.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/92/09afbe0bd85ee163f9c2c6664132361.png .[/URL]
Find the rate of flow outward through the sphere http://ada.math.uga.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/49/de1fad897871c3c2ac5109463da2a11.png .[/URL]

So far I've found n, which is
1/2x+1/2y+1/2z

and F dot n gives z^2.

I converted to spherical coordinates and z^2 is equal to 4cos^2[phi].

My integral is set up as:
4*(int[0-2pi] int[0-pi] (cos^2[phi]*sin[phi]dphi dtheta.

The first integral is -1/3cos^3[phi] from 0-pi which is 1/3 - - 1/3 = 2/3

The second integral gives 2/3*2*pi, so the entire thing is 4*2/3*2*pi.

I thought I was just supposed to multiply that by 2 (the density) but that's not the right answer. Can someone tell me what I did wrong or what I'm supposed to do with the density?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
One way to verify the answer is by Gauss' law (aka the divergence theorem). The divergence of the velocity field is seen to be 2, so the flux out of the sphere is 2*(4/3*pi*2^3), which is off by a factor of 4 from what you got. It seems like you forgot the r^2 factor in the surface area element. What you did with the density is correct since it's constant here.

What is flux through a sphere?

Flux through a sphere is the measure of the flow of a vector field through the surface of a sphere. It is a measure of how much of the vector field passes through the surface of the sphere in a given time.

How is flux through a sphere calculated?

The flux through a sphere can be calculated by using the formula: Φ = ∫∫∫S F • dS, where Φ is the flux, F is the vector field, and dS is the differential surface area element of the sphere.

What is the unit of measurement for flux through a sphere?

The unit of measurement for flux through a sphere is cubic meters per second (m3/s) for fluid flow, and watts (W) for electromagnetic fields.

What factors affect the flux through a sphere?

The flux through a sphere is affected by the strength and direction of the vector field, the size of the sphere, and the orientation of the sphere with respect to the vector field. It is also affected by the shape and surface properties of the sphere.

What are some real-world applications of flux through a sphere?

Flux through a sphere has many applications in fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. It is used in the study of fluid flow in pipes, the calculation of heat transfer in spherical objects, and the measurement of electric and magnetic fields in spherical devices.