1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flux through a square and rectangle

1. Aug 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Flux:
    a. Calculate the flux of the vector v1 = (1, 3 5) through a 2×2 square in the x-z plane (i.e., y = 0).
    b. Calculate the flux of the vector v2=(z, y, -x) through this rectangle:0≤ x ≤3, 0≤ y ≤ 2, z = 0..

3. The attempt at a solution
    I guess flux is suppose to be some kind of surface integral though I don't recall doing these in calculus before. That's not to say I didn't.. but I simply dont remember them. I've looked up the integral methods and this is what I got:
    A. [itex]\int \vec{v_1}da[/itex]
    z=0, da=dxdy[itex]\hat{z}[/itex]
    [itex]\int^2_0 5 dxdy[/itex] = 5(2)(2)=20

B. [itex]\int \vec{v_3}da[/itex]
    again z=0, da=dxdy[itex]\hat{z}[/itex]
    [itex]\int -x dxdy[/itex]
    [itex]\int^3_0 -x dx[/itex]= -9/2
    [itex]\int^2_0 dy[/itex]=2
    =-5/2

First thing that strikes me is the negative in B. I don't think that I should have a negative flux if I'm understanding this right. Can anyone help me understand this?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi bowlbase! :smile:
    it depends whether you regard the normal as being in the positive or negative z direction

since the question doesn't say, it doesn't matter :wink:
    correct method, but
    i] you've misread the question … the normal is in the y direction!
    ii] please always write ∫∫ not ∫ for a double integral, and you're less likely to make mistake :wink:
    no, you seem to have evaluated ∫∫ xdxdy as a sum of two integrals

you need to integrate wrt x first, then integrate that result wrt y

4. Aug 24, 2013 #3
    A) its funny that I have done it correctly on paper but incorrectly here. I'm not paying enough attention I guess.

B) no idea why I added those. I'm glad that I at least had the correct idea.

thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted