Flux through a square and rectangle

In summary, the question asked for the calculation of flux for two different vectors through different shapes in the x-z plane. The correct method for calculating the flux was used, but there were some mistakes in the evaluation of the integrals. These mistakes were corrected and the correct answers for flux were obtained.
bowlbase

Homework Statement

Flux:
a. Calculate the flux of the vector v1 = (1, 3 5) through a 2×2 square in the x-z plane (i.e., y = 0).
b. Calculate the flux of the vector v2=(z, y, -x) through this rectangle:0≤ x ≤3, 0≤ y ≤ 2, z = 0..

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess flux is suppose to be some kind of surface integral though I don't recall doing these in calculus before. That's not to say I didn't.. but I simply don't remember them. I've looked up the integral methods and this is what I got:
A. [itex]\int \vec{v_1}da[/itex]
z=0, da=dxdy[itex]\hat{z}[/itex]
[itex]\int^2_0 5 dxdy[/itex] = 5(2)(2)=20

B. [itex]\int \vec{v_3}da[/itex]
again z=0, da=dxdy[itex]\hat{z}[/itex]
[itex]\int -x dxdy[/itex]
[itex]\int^3_0 -x dx[/itex]= -9/2
[itex]\int^2_0 dy[/itex]=2
=-5/2

First thing that strikes me is the negative in B. I don't think that I should have a negative flux if I'm understanding this right. Can anyone help me understand this?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi bowlbase! :smile:
bowlbase said:
First thing that strikes me is the negative in B. I don't think that I should have a negative flux if I'm understanding this right. Can anyone help me understand this?

it depends whether you regard the normal as being in the positive or negative z direction

since the question doesn't say, it doesn't matter :wink:
a. Calculate the flux of the vector v1 = (1, 3 5) through a 2×2 square in the x-z plane (i.e., y = 0).

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess flux is suppose to be some kind of surface integral though I don't recall doing these in calculus before. That's not to say I didn't.. but I simply don't remember them. I've looked up the integral methods and this is what I got:
A. [itex]\int \vec{v_1}da[/itex]
z=0, da=dxdy[itex]\hat{z}[/itex]
[itex]\int^2_0 5 dxdy[/itex] = 5(2)(2)=20

correct method, but
i] you've misread the question … the normal is in the y direction!
ii] please always write ∫∫ not ∫ for a double integral, and you're less likely to make mistake :wink:
b. Calculate the flux of the vector v2=(z, y, -x) through this rectangle:0≤ x ≤3, 0≤ y ≤ 2, z = 0..

B. [itex]\int \vec{v_3}da[/itex]
again z=0, da=dxdy[itex]\hat{z}[/itex]
[itex]\int -x dxdy[/itex]
[itex]\int^3_0 -x dx[/itex]= -9/2
[itex]\int^2_0 dy[/itex]=2
=-5/2

no, you seem to have evaluated ∫∫ xdxdy as a sum of two integrals

you need to integrate wrt x first, then integrate that result wrt y

A) its funny that I have done it correctly on paper but incorrectly here. I'm not paying enough attention I guess.

B) no idea why I added those. I'm glad that I at least had the correct idea.

thanks for the help!

1. What is flux through a square and rectangle?

Flux is the measure of the flow of a physical quantity through a given surface. In the case of a square and rectangle, flux refers to the amount of a physical quantity passing through the surface of these shapes.

2. How is flux calculated through a square and rectangle?

Flux through a square and rectangle can be calculated using the formula Flux = (Magnitude of the physical quantity) x (Area of the surface) x (Cosine of the angle between the surface normal and the direction of the physical quantity).

3. Does the size of the square or rectangle affect the flux?

Yes, the size of the square or rectangle does affect the flux. The larger the area of the surface, the greater the flux will be. This is because a larger surface area allows for more physical quantity to pass through.

4. What factors affect the flux through a square and rectangle?

The flux through a square and rectangle can be affected by several factors, such as the magnitude and direction of the physical quantity, the size and orientation of the surface, and the material properties of the surface.

5. How is flux through a square and rectangle used in real-world applications?

Flux through a square and rectangle is used in many real-world applications, such as in fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. It can help engineers and scientists understand and analyze the flow of fluids, electricity, and heat through various systems and surfaces.