Flux Through Sphere: Cylindrical Coordinates

In summary, the problem is to find the flux through a sphere using the E field given in cylindrical coordinates. The solution involves converting the E field into spherical coordinates and then using the equation for the divergence of a vector field in cylindrical coordinates. The final step is to do the integral of the divergence and show that the two methods are equivalent.
bowlbase

Homework Statement

The trick to this problem is the E field is in cylindrical coordinates.
##E(\vec{r})=Cs^2\hat{s}##

Homework Equations

##\int E \cdot dA##

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried converting the E field into spherical coords and I can find the flux that way but it is a complicated answer. The problem suggests keeping the field in cylindrical and doing the integral of the circle in cylindrical instead of spherical. I'm sort of lost on how I would do that. Would I have the limits of s be 0→R and z -R→R and ##\phi## the same as hat it would normally be?

I doubt it is that simple but since I've never tried to use non-optimal coordinates for an object I'm not entirely sure how I would go about this.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is to find the flux through a sphere where the E field is given in cylindrical coordinates. I can't convert the field into spherical as the question specifically asks that I do it the other way. And, I must also finally graph the divergence on the sz plane.

For example

##E=Cs^2\hat{s}##
##s=rsin(\theta)## and ##\hat{s}=sin(\theta)\hat{r}+cos(\theta)\hat{\theta}##
so ##E=(rsin(\theta))^2(sin(\theta)\hat{r}+cos(\theta)\hat{\theta})##
##\int E \cdot dA=E4\pi r^2=4\pi r^2(rsin(\theta))^2(sin(\theta)\hat{r}+cos(\theta)\hat{\theta})##

The next step it asks me to calculate the divergence of E and then graph it on the sz plane.

I can do this with the original equation but I now have answers in two different coordinate systems. Which I suppose sounds fair since they did gave me two also.

##∇\cdot E=\frac{1}{s}\frac{∂}{∂s}(sE_s)##
##=\frac{C}{s}(3s^2)=3Cs##

Finally, it asks that I now do the integral ##\int (∇\cdot E) dV## to show that the two methods are equivalent. At first glance I would say they are not. So I probably made a mistake somewhere.

I've never encountered "s" in any cylindrical coordinate system. The cylindrical coordinates are usually denoted r, theta, z or r, phi, z.

Also, your ## expressions are not being translated, at least not on my computer.

Last edited:
I get that a lot. It's something, I think, that is inherited from Griffiths since his books are popular on campus.

We normally do ##(s,\phi, z)##

bowlbase said:
I get that a lot. It's something, I think, that is inherited from Griffiths since his books are popular on campus.

We normally do ##(s,\phi, z)##

OK, that's fine. Griffith is very popular so maybe things have changed since my time ...

And I apologize for my comment about your ## expressions. I was looking at the "go advanced" window ...

Gotta think a bit.

Meanwhile, you might re-post this in the math section since it involves a dot-product in cylindrical coordinates. I would have to translate the components into cartesians before taking the dot product unless it's very simple.

Last edited:

1. What is flux through a sphere in cylindrical coordinates?

The flux through a sphere in cylindrical coordinates is the measure of the flow of a vector field through the surface of a sphere, where the coordinates are defined in terms of a radius, an angle, and a height.

2. How is the flux through a sphere calculated in cylindrical coordinates?

The flux through a sphere in cylindrical coordinates can be calculated using the formula F = ∫∫∫S (vrcosϕ + vϕsinϕ) dS, where vr and vϕ are the components of the vector field in the radial and angular directions, respectively, and ϕ is the angle of the point on the sphere.

3. What is the significance of calculating flux through a sphere in cylindrical coordinates?

The calculation of flux through a sphere in cylindrical coordinates is important in many areas of science, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. It allows for the quantification of the flow of a vector field through a specific surface, which can provide valuable information about the behavior of the field.

4. How is the direction of flux through a sphere determined in cylindrical coordinates?

The direction of flux through a sphere in cylindrical coordinates is determined by the orientation of the surface and the direction of the vector field. The flux is considered positive if it is flowing out of the surface, and negative if it is flowing into the surface.

5. What is the relationship between flux through a sphere in cylindrical coordinates and Gauss's Law?

Flux through a sphere in cylindrical coordinates is a special case of Gauss's Law, which states that the flux of an electric field through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of the medium. In the case of a vector field, the flux through a sphere is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of the field over the enclosed volume.