Flywheel problem with limited data? Is it possible?

In summary: Just remember to always check your units when you're doing calculations like this. If you have the wrong units for a particular quantity, the equations won't balance.In summary, the conversation discusses using the principle of conservation of energy to relate the distance fallen (h) and the velocity (v) of a 2 kg mass dropped from a solid circular flywheel. The flywheel has a radius of 120 mm and a rotational velocity (ω) of ω rad/s. The equation h = v^2(0.051+1.77xI) is used to show this relationship. The conversation also includes discussions about finding a connection between the values of v and ω, and solving for h in the given equation.
RichMortimer
A solid circular flywheel around which a string is wrapped. At the end of the string is a 2 kg mass. If the mass is dropped, the drum will rotate.

After the mass has fallen h metres, it has a velocity of v m/s and the wheel has a rotational velocity of ω rad/s

The flywheel radius is 120 mm. Use principle of conservation of energy to show that the distance fallen h, and the velocity v, are related by the equation h = v^2(0.051+1.77xI)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right then,

Firstly, please don't give the answer as I would like to work it out. However, I'm a little lost on the direction to go.

Conservation = mgh = 1/2mv^2+1/2Iω^2

We have no height, Inertia, radius of gyration or time... So how can we start?

I've thought about substitution but do I just pluck a number? See's to random to do that?!

I'm assuming I can substitute equations into the above equation but yet still don't seem to have the relevant information.

As I said, not after the answer, just a kick in the right direction if possible.

P.S. That's all the information... no more!

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the key insight here is that for every cm that the mass drops, this much rope unwinds. And for every cm of rope unwound, a point on the circumference of the wheel moves by this same distance. Can you see that?

If so, you have a relationship between the speed of the falling mass, and the speed moved by a point on the outside edge of the wheel. You also have a relationship between this tangential speed, and the rotational speed of the wheel.

Hello cepheid,

Thanks for the reply.

I initially thought something similar, using the radius. However, unless I "create" a height and time value I can't see how I relate to the function h = v^2(0.051+1.77xI)

I'm assuming I can somehow find a connection between the above values and a PE or KE combination but still looking!

:(

Thanks again.

RichMortimer said:
Hello cepheid,

Thanks for the reply.

I initially thought something similar, using the radius. However, unless I "create" a height and time value I can't see how I relate to the function h = v^2(0.051+1.77xI)

I'm assuming I can somehow find a connection between the above values and a PE or KE combination but still looking!

:(

Thanks again.
You have this equation:

RichMortimer said:
Conservation = mgh = 1/2mv^2+1/2Iω^2
All you have to do is solve it for h and plug in numbers. The only additional info that you need is how v (the speed at which the object falls) relates to ω (rotation speed of the wheel). I explained how in my first post.

So would you just pick a random height? Or try working backwards from the given equation?

I'll try again in the morning and re-post.

See where we get to!

Thanks,

Night.

RichMortimer said:
So would you just pick a random height? Or try working backwards from the given equation?

I'll try again in the morning and re-post.

See where we get to!

Thanks,

Night.

I don't understand what you're asking. You don't need to pick any height. As stated in the problem, "h" is the distance by which the thing has fallen. So mgh (potential energy lost) = (1/2)mv2 + (1/2)Iω2 (kinetic energy gained by mass and flywheel). Solve for h.

A clear rested mind is a wonderful thing!

I've just read your last post... I realize that I had indeed been asking the wrong question!

I don't need a value for h or v as they are unknown in the given equation!

I'll have a go at the question again and feed back.

Once again, thank you!

Ok, sorry about quality, just easier than trying to type it all out!

See attached...

I feel like I'm nearly there but I'm not sure how to bring the 2*g*m*r^2 out from below. I know I'm on the right lines as I can equate the 0.051 required but as yet figured where the 1.77 has come from.

Please can you confirm that I'm right up until now.

I'll keep trying.

Attachments

• working.jpg
    working.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 397
Haaaaaaaaaaaaa haaa!

Just got it!

I must be a singular. Therefore there is a 1 in front. 1/0.565 = 1.77 :-D Therefore:

h=(v^2(m*r^2+I)) / (2*g*m*r^2) is equal to h=v^2(0.051+1.77*I) Wow.

Thanks again cepheid... :)

Last edited:
Glad to see that you figured it out.

1. What is a flywheel problem with limited data?

A flywheel problem with limited data refers to a situation where a scientist or engineer is trying to analyze the performance of a flywheel, but only has a limited amount of data available to work with. This can make it challenging to accurately predict the behavior of the flywheel or make any conclusive statements about its performance.

2. Why is it difficult to solve a flywheel problem with limited data?

Solving a flywheel problem with limited data can be difficult because the data may be incomplete or not representative of the entire system. This can lead to inaccurate conclusions and make it challenging to develop a comprehensive solution.

3. What factors can contribute to limited data in a flywheel problem?

There are several factors that can contribute to limited data in a flywheel problem, such as sensor limitations, data collection errors, or the complexity of the system. Additionally, flywheels may be used in unique or specialized applications where there is not a lot of existing data to work with.

4. Is it possible to solve a flywheel problem with limited data?

Yes, it is possible to solve a flywheel problem with limited data, but it may require additional research, experimentation, and analysis. Scientists and engineers may need to use alternative methods or assumptions to fill in the gaps in the data and come up with a viable solution.

5. How can scientists work around limited data in a flywheel problem?

To work around limited data in a flywheel problem, scientists can use techniques such as statistical analysis, simulations, or modeling to estimate missing data points. They can also conduct additional experiments or collect more data to get a better understanding of the flywheel's performance. Collaboration with other experts in the field can also help to find creative solutions to the problem.