FM Radio receiver in RLC circuit with .200 microH Inductor

In summary, the tuning circuit in an FM radio receiver is a series RLC circuit with a 0.200 µH inductor. The receiver is tuned to a station at 104.3 MHz. The radio is still tuned to 104.3 MHz, and two nearby stations cannot use adjacent frequencies. The maximum resistance the tuning circuit can have is 1.49 * 10-3 Ω when the peak current at 103.9 MHz, the closest frequency that can be used, is no more than .10% of the peak current at 104.3 MHz.
penguinnnnnx5

Homework Statement

The tuning circuit in an FM radio receiver is a series RLC circuit with a 0.200 µH inductor

a. The receiver is tuned to a station at 104.3 MHz. What is the value of the capacitor int he tuning circuit?​

b. FM radio stations are assigned frequencies every 0.2 MHz, but two nearby statiosn cannot use adjacent frequencies. What is the maximum resistance the tuning circuit can have if the peak current at a frequency of 103.9 MHz, the closest frequency that can be used by a nearby station, is to be no more than 0.10% of the peak current at 104.3 MHz? The radio is still tuned to 104.3 MHz, and you can assume the two stations have equal strength.​

Homework Equations

ω = 1/ √(LC) = 2πf (f is for frequency, ω is for angular frequency, L inductance, C capacitance)

Ip = Vp/R = Vp/Xc = Vp/XL

Xc = 1/ (ωC)

XL = ωL

The Attempt at a Solution

I correctly found the answer to a as shown:

ω = 1/ √(LC) = 2πf
√(LC) = 1/(2πf)
LC = 1/(2πf)2 --> C = 1/(4π2f2L) = 11.64 pF

What I am stuck on is b. Here is my thought process so far:

Vp/R = Vp/XL

Since the peak current of the station at 103.9 MHz is no more than 0.10% that of the peak current of the station at 104.3 MHz, the max resistance occurs when the peak current is .10% that of the peak current of the station at 104.3 MHz, so:

Vp/R = .001 * Vp/XL

---> .001 R = XL = ωL = 2πf * L

Solve for R, and I get the wrong answer.

The correct answer is apparently R = 1.49 * 10-3 Ω

The reason why I used the inductance rather than the capacitance is because it seemed like a better number to use, since the capacitance was slightly rounded and the inductance was given.
Am I missing something? Perhaps a minor detail in the problem that I may have overlooked?

Physics news on Phys.org
penguinnnnnx5 said:
What I am stuck on is b. Here is my thought process so far:

This assumption is suspect. The components are in series so they won't have the same potential across all three.

Can you write expressions for the impedance at each frequency? Leave R as a variable, but plug in the known reactances at each frequency. If you assume some source voltage E, what's an expression for the peak current given impedance Z?

gneill said:
This assumption is suspect. The components are in series so they won't have the same potential across all three.

Can you write expressions for the impedance at each frequency? Leave R as a variable, but plug in the known reactances at each frequency. If you assume some source voltage E, what's an expression for the peak current given impedance Z?
Z = √(R2 + (XL-XC)2)

XC,1 = 1/ (2π(104.3*106) (11.64 * 10-12)) = 131.094 Ω

XL,1 = 2π (104.3*106)(.2*10-6) = 131.067 Ω

XC,2 = 1/ (2π(103.9*106) (11.64 * 10-12)) = 131.599 Ω

XL,2 = 2π (103.9*106)(.2*10-6) = 130.565 Ω

I would think that XC,n = XL,n and the only reason why they're not equal right now is because of the slight rounding from a, so:

Z = √(R2 + (XL-XC)2) = R at both frequencies

Is that a wrong assumption to make?

As for the current with source voltage E, I0 = E/Z, yes?

Last edited:
penguinnnnnx5 said:
Z = √(R2 + (XL-XC)2)

XC,1 = 1/ (2π(104.3*106) (11.64 * 10-12)) = 131.094 Ω

XL,1 = 2π (104.3*106)(.2*10-6) = 131.067 Ω

XC,2 = 1/ (2π(103.9*106) (11.64 * 10-12)) = 131.599 Ω

XL,2 = 2π (103.9*106)(.2*10-6) = 130.565 Ω

I would think that XC,n = XL,n and the only reason why they're not equal right now is because of the slight rounding from a, so:
Nope! Take a close look at the formulas for inductive and capacitive reactance. They are different because their values vary differently with respect to frequency. Only at resonance do they have the same magnitude (in fact, that's a defining characteristic of resonance).
Z = √(R2 + (XL-XC)2) = R at both frequencies

Is that a wrong assumption to make?
Yup. Bad assumption. There will be two different values of Z. Only at resonance will Z = R because the reactances exactly cancel then.
As for the current with source voltage E, I0 = E/Z, yes?
Yes. Write expressions for the two values of current that are of interest.

gneill said:
Nope! Take a close look at the formulas for inductive and capacitive reactance. They are different because their values vary differently with respect to frequency. Only at resonance do they have the same magnitude (in fact, that's a defining characteristic of resonance).

Yup. Bad assumption. There will be two different values of Z. Only at resonance will Z = R because the reactances exactly cancel then.

Yes. Write expressions for the two values of current that are of interest.

Thank you for your help! I figured it out last night. Stupid mistake on my part; I should've realized that XL =/= XC when the frequency changes.

Anyway, here is the correct method:

L = .200 μH
C = 11.64 pF ≈ 11.6 pF (This can actually give you an entirely different answer)
R = Some resistance we have yet to find
Z = Impedance
I0 = ε/Z, where some power supply with voltage ε is hooked up to the radio.
Let all those with subscript 1 be that of 104.3 MHz, all those with subscript 2 be that of 103.9 MHz

The radio should stay the same, so the inductance, capacitance, and resistance should all stay the same, regardless of frequency. We know that I0,2 = .10% I0,1, so we have this:

ε/Z2 = .001 ε/Z1 <---- .001 because .10% = .001

.001 Z2 = Z1
.001 √(R2 + (XL,2 - XC,2)2) = √(R2 + (XL,1 - XC,1)2)

We know that at 104.3, XC = XL
∴ XC,1 = XL,1 → XL,1 - XC,1 = 0 Ω

So now we have:

.001 √(R2 + (XL,2 - XC,2)2) = √(R2)

Square both sides, and we have:

10-6 (R2 + (XL,2 - XC,2)2) = R2
R2 + (XL,2 - XC,2)2 = 106 R2

106 - 1 is practically 106, so:

(XL,2 - XC,2)2 = 106 R2

Plug numbers in with C = 11.6 pF (!), and you should get:
(1.487)2 = 106 R2 → 1.487 = 103 R

→ R = 1.487 * 10-3 = 1.49 * 10-3 Ω

Yep. Looks good.

Related to FM Radio receiver in RLC circuit with .200 microH Inductor

1. How does an RLC circuit work in an FM radio receiver with a .200 microH inductor?

An RLC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). In an FM radio receiver, the RLC circuit is used to tune in to specific radio frequencies. The .200 microH inductor acts as a frequency-selective element, allowing only the desired frequency to pass through the circuit.

2. Why is an inductor used in an FM radio receiver RLC circuit?

An inductor is used in an FM radio receiver RLC circuit because it is a frequency-dependent component. This means that an inductor can be used to filter out unwanted frequencies and amplify the desired frequency, making it an essential element in tuning the radio to a specific frequency.

3. What is the role of the capacitor in an RLC circuit in an FM radio receiver?

The capacitor in an RLC circuit in an FM radio receiver acts as a storage element for electrical energy. It helps to stabilize the circuit and maintain a constant voltage, preventing any fluctuations in voltage that may affect the tuning of the radio.

4. How does the .200 microH inductor affect the reception of FM radio signals?

The .200 microH inductor in an FM radio receiver RLC circuit acts as a frequency filter, allowing only the desired FM radio frequency to pass through the circuit and block out unwanted frequencies. This results in a clearer and stronger reception of the desired FM radio signal.

5. Can the .200 microH inductor be replaced with a different value in an FM radio receiver RLC circuit?

Yes, the .200 microH inductor can be replaced with a different value in an FM radio receiver RLC circuit. However, it is important to choose an inductor with the appropriate value to ensure the desired frequency is correctly filtered and amplified. Changing the value of the inductor can affect the tuning of the radio and may result in poor reception of FM radio signals.