Focal Length - please check my work and tell me what's wrong.

In summary: So -5.6 cm would be a correct answer. In summary, using the given information, the focal length of the diverging lens is -5.6 cm, which means it is a diverging lens with a negative focal length.
vucollegeguy

Homework Statement

A small object is 25.0 cm from a diverging lens as shown in the figure . A converging lens with a focal length of 11.4 cm is 30.0cm to the right of the diverging lens. The two-lens system forms a real inverted image 17.0 cm to the right of the converging lens.

The Attempt at a Solution

1/f = 1/o + 1/i at every step

conv lens

1/12 = 1/o + 1/17.0

o = 40.8

This means the second object, which is the first image, was 40.8 cm to the left of the conv lens.

This means the second object was 40.8 - 30 = 10.8 cm to the left of the div lens

So the image distance for the div lens is -10.8 and

1/f = 1/25.0 + 1/(-10.8)

1/f = 0.04 - 0.0926 = -0.05259

f = -19.0 cm is the focal length of the div lens

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello vucollegeguy,

vucollegeguy said:

Homework Statement

A small object is 25.0 cm from a diverging lens as shown in the figure . A converging lens with a focal length of 11.4 cm is 30.0cm to the right of the diverging lens. The two-lens system forms a real inverted image 17.0 cm to the right of the converging lens.

The Attempt at a Solution

1/f = 1/o + 1/i at every step

conv lens

1/12 = 1/o + 1/17.0

o = 40.8

Where do you get a length of 12 cm? :uhh: The problem statement says that the converging lens has a focal length of 11.4 cm. You might want to correct this before you move on. 'Turns out it makes a significant difference in the end.

I changed 12 to 11.4. My final answer came out to be -5.6 but distance can't be negative. Is my answer correct?

vucollegeguy said:
I changed 12 to 11.4. My final answer came out to be -5.6 but distance can't be negative. Is my answer correct?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you were solving for the focal length of the diverging lens. Focal lengths of diverging lenses are negative by definition.

1. What is focal length?

Focal length is the distance between the lens of a camera and its focal point, which is the point where the light rays converge and create a clear image.

2. How does focal length affect the image?

The focal length determines the magnification and angle of view of the image. A shorter focal length will result in a wider angle of view and a smaller image, while a longer focal length will result in a narrower angle of view and a larger image.

3. What is the difference between a short and long focal length?

A short focal length, also known as a wide-angle lens, captures a wider angle of view and is better for capturing landscapes or group photos. A long focal length, also known as a telephoto lens, captures a narrower angle of view and is better for zooming in on distant subjects.

4. How do I choose the right focal length for my photo?

The right focal length depends on the type of photo you want to capture. For wide landscapes or group photos, a shorter focal length is recommended. For portraits or zoomed-in shots, a longer focal length is preferred. Experiment with different focal lengths to find the best one for your desired photo.

5. Can I change the focal length on my camera?

It depends on the type of camera you have. Some cameras, such as DSLRs, allow you to change the focal length by switching out lenses. Other cameras, such as point-and-shoots or smartphones, have a fixed focal length lens. However, with these cameras, you can still achieve a similar effect by using digital zoom or moving closer or farther away from the subject.