1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Focal Length - please check my work and tell me what's wrong.

1. Apr 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A small object is 25.0 cm from a diverging lens as shown in the figure . A converging lens with a focal length of 11.4 cm is 30.0cm to the right of the diverging lens. The two-lens system forms a real inverted image 17.0 cm to the right of the converging lens.

3. The attempt at a solution
    1/f = 1/o + 1/i at every step

conv lens

1/12 = 1/o + 1/17.0

o = 40.8

This means the second object, which is the first image, was 40.8 cm to the left of the conv lens.

This means the second object was 40.8 - 30 = 10.8 cm to the left of the div lens

So the image distance for the div lens is -10.8 and

1/f = 1/25.0 + 1/(-10.8)

1/f = 0.04 - 0.0926 = -0.05259

f = -19.0 cm is the focal length of the div lens

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2010 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello vucollegeguy,

Where do you get a length of 12 cm? :uhh: The problem statement says that the converging lens has a focal length of 11.4 cm. You might want to correct this before you move on. 'Turns out it makes a significant difference in the end.

4. Apr 9, 2010 #3
    I changed 12 to 11.4. My final answer came out to be -5.6 but distance can't be negative. Is my answer correct?

5. Apr 9, 2010 #4

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you were solving for the focal length of the diverging lens. Focal lengths of diverging lenses are negative by definition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook