Solve Football Hangtime: Calculate Time to Hit Ground

• Thread starter beau21
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a projectile motion problem involving a football being kicked at ground level with a speed of 18.2 units at an angle of 43.1 degrees to the horizontal. The individual is having trouble using the equation y = y_o + V_o*t + .5(a)(t)^2 and is seeking help to solve for the time it takes for the ball to hit the ground. There is some confusion about the correct formula to use, but it is resolved that the formula for acceleration should be 9.81 m/s^2. The importance of using units in calculations is also emphasized.
beau21
Homework Statement [/b]
A football is kicked at ground level with a speed of 18.2 at an angle of 43.1 to the horizontal.

How much later does it hit the ground?

Relevant equations[/b]
I tried using y = y_o + V_o*t + .5(a)(t)^2

Can anyone help me solve this? It seems like it would be relatively easy but I can't seem to get the correct answer..

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
isnt V_o=18.2, and a=43.1 and Y_o=0 (horizontal)?

and then just plug in and solve for T?

wouldn't a = 9.81 m/s^2 (acceleration) ?

oh yes, for acceleratoin, and what would the Y_o represent?

i was assuming the initial height in the Y direction?

which would be zero.. i THINK ur using the wrong formula. I haven't done projectile motion in like 3 years, so i was just trying to help out. I remember there was 2 equations though, one if ur starting and ending on the same level, and another if you ur initial height was above the final height... not sure which one you mentioned above..

18.2 what? 43.1 what? The latter is obviously degrees, but you should say so. The former could be feet/second, kilometers/hour, whatever. Now is a good time to get in the habit of placing units everywhere. If you don't you could well end up crashing a spaceship, overdosing a patient, or cause a currency to fail if you are not careful about units.

What is "Solve Football Hangtime"?

"Solve Football Hangtime" is a scientific calculation used to determine the amount of time it takes for a football to reach the ground after being kicked or thrown into the air. It takes into account factors such as the initial velocity, angle of release, and gravity.

Why is it important to calculate time to hit ground in football?

Calculating the time to hit ground in football is important because it allows players and coaches to determine the trajectory and distance of a kick or throw. This information can be used to make strategic decisions during a game, such as choosing the best play or adjusting the strength and angle of a kick.

What factors affect the time to hit ground in football?

The time to hit ground in football is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity of the ball, the angle at which it is released, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and wind can also have an impact.

How is "Solve Football Hangtime" calculated?

"Solve Football Hangtime" is calculated using the formula t = (2 * v * sinθ) / g, where t is the time to hit ground, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of release, and g is the force of gravity.

What are some applications of "Solve Football Hangtime"?

The calculation of "Solve Football Hangtime" has various applications in the sport of football. It can be used to analyze and improve kicking and throwing techniques, determine the distance of a successful kick or throw, and predict the outcome of a play. It can also be used in training and coaching to help players understand and improve their performance.