Football Kinematics Homework: Tom Throws Ball to Wes

• Thread starter postfan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary: However, you have substituted 10 for g in the last equation, which changes the dimension of the term to (LT-2)T4. You need to substitute g for 10 in the last equation to get the correct dimension.
postfan

Homework Statement

Tom throws a football to Wes, who is a distance l away. Tom can control the time of flight t of the ball by choosing
any speed up to vmax and any launch angle between 0◦ and 90◦
. Ignore air resistance and assume Tom and Wes
are at the same height. Which of the following statements is incorrect?
(A) If vmax <√gl, the ball cannot reach Wes at all.
(B) Assuming the ball can reach Wes, as vmax increases with l held fixed, the minimum value of t decreases.
(C) Assuming the ball can reach Wes, as vmax increases with l held fixed, the maximum value of t increases.
(D) Assuming the ball can reach Wes, as l increases with vmax held fixed, the minimum value of t increases.
(E) Assuming the ball can reach Wes, as l increases with vmax held fixed, the maximum value of t increases.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that making the launch angle closest to 45 degrees and increasing the horizontal component of the velocity will reduce the time, but I don't know where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a multiple choice question. And it says "which is incorrect?" So start in checking them.

First, can you check the minimum speed required for the ball to reach? What does that tell you about (A)?

Note that the rest of the statements talk about minimum t and maximum t. Can you work out the min and max times given a vmax and an l? You might have to do some fiddling around there since in principle the max or min could arise from a throwing velocity less than vmax. Once you know how he min and max depend on vmax and l, you should be able to check statements (B) through (E).

I found the minimum velocity required to be sqrt(g*L/sin(2*theta)) and assuming theta=45degrees (maximizing sin(2*theta) v=sqrt(gL) making (A) true and not the right answer. The question is how do I work out the min and max times/

postfan said:
how do I work out the min and max times/
By finding the general expression for the time in terms of l and v.

Setting g=10 I got t=L/(v_0*cos(theta) and t=v_0*sin(theta)/5 . I then set them equal to each other and got 5L=v_0^2*sin(theta)*cos(theta). However I don't see how I can derive with a min and max time from that.

postfan said:
5L=v_0^2*sin(theta)*cos(theta)
You seem to have an extra factor of 2 from somewhere. I think you mean gL=v02*2sin(theta)*cos(theta)= v02*sin(2 theta).
Trouble is, you've eliminated t, which you wanted to find the extrema of. You want t as a function of v, eliminating theta.

Last edited:
The 2 that I have is a exponent of v_0 not a multiplicative factor.

postfan said:
The 2 that I have is a exponent of v_0 not a multiplicative factor.
OK, I see. That's a hazard of not using superscripts. Conversely, I missed out a factor of 2, now edited in.
Anyway, as I wrote, you want to eliminate theta, not t, to answer the question.

How do I eliminate theta? I tried some algebraic manipulation but to no avail.

postfan said:
How do I eliminate theta? I tried some algebraic manipulation but to no avail.
Cos2+sin2=1.

Ok I got v_0^2=5t^2+L^2/t^2. How's that?

postfan said:
Ok I got v_0^2=5t^2+L^2/t^2. How's that?
Not quite right. Had you kept g instead of substituting 10, you might have noticed the gt2 term has the wrong dimension.
Once you've corrected it, solve for t as a function of v. Yes, I know it's a quartic, but it's actually quite easy to solve.

Ok I got gt^4-4v^2+4L^2=0. How is that?

postfan said:
Ok I got gt^4-4v^2+4L^2=0. How is that?
Same flaw, only worse.
Are you familiar with dimensional analysis? You write M for mass, L for distance, T for time, Q for charge etc. and reduce every term to a combination of these. Ignore constants.
Applying that here, gt^4 has dimension (LT-2)T4 = LT2. v^2 has dimension (LT-1)2 = L2T-2. l^2 has dimension L2. Terms which are to be added together all need to match.
This shows you have mistakes in your algebra.
Your original equations, t=L/(v_0*cos(theta)) and t=2v_0*sin(theta)/g, are dimensionally correct.

1. What is kinematics in relation to football?

Kinematics is the study of motion and its causes, without considering the forces that cause the motion. In the context of football, kinematics refers to the study of the movement of players and the ball on the field.

2. How does the speed and direction of the ball affect the outcome of a pass?

The speed and direction of the ball play a crucial role in determining the success of a pass. A faster ball will reach the intended player quicker, giving the defense less time to react. The direction of the ball also affects its trajectory, making it easier or more difficult for the receiver to catch.

3. What factors impact the accuracy of a quarterback's throw?

The accuracy of a quarterback's throw can be affected by a variety of factors, including the release angle, velocity, release point, and footwork. The quarterback's technique, strength, and experience can also play a role in the accuracy of their throw.

4. How do you calculate the velocity of the ball during a pass?

To calculate the velocity of the ball during a pass, you would need to know the distance the ball traveled and the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for velocity is velocity = distance/time. So, if the ball traveled 20 yards in 2 seconds, the velocity would be 10 yards per second.

5. What is the role of kinematics in football training and analysis?

Kinematics is essential in football training and analysis as it allows coaches and players to analyze and improve their movements on the field. By studying the kinematics of players and the ball, coaches can identify areas of improvement and develop training programs to enhance performance. Kinematics can also be used to analyze game footage and strategize for future games.