Projectile Motion: Football Thrown at Moving Receiver

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a football player throws a ball at a receiver who is 10m away and running at a speed of 12.25m/s. The ball is thrown at an initial velocity of 20m/s and at an angle of 30 degrees above the horizontal. The problem asks if the receiver will be able to catch the ball assuming it is caught at the same height it was thrown from. The equations and calculations used to solve the problem are also mentioned, but it is unclear if the correct approach has been taken. The condition for a catch is also brought up as a consideration.
coffeeandativ

Homework Statement

A football player throws a football at a player who is 10m away. The football is fired at 20m/s at 30degrees above the horizontal. If the receiver is running straight away from the quarterback at
12.25m/s will he catch the football (assuming the ball is caught at the same height as it is thrown from)?

Homework Equations

vix=vcostheta
viy= vsinthetha
range= vi^2(sinthetha)^2 divided by the acceleration
vf=vi+at
delta x= vit+1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the equations I wrote above this is what I managed to solve so far.
vix=17.32ms
viy= 10ms
to find the time I used vf=vi+at and I got 2.04s which I substituted into the delta x equation to get a total of 61m.

I'm not sure if I'm on the right track to solving this problem or not, any help would be great. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear how you've used the equations that you give to find the values that you state. Perhaps you could lay out your calculations in a bit more detail?

What is the condition (in terms of the physics) that must apply in order for their to be a catch?

AM

What is the concept of projectile motion in football?

Projectile motion in football refers to the curved path that the ball follows when it is kicked or thrown. This path is created by the forces of gravity and air resistance acting on the ball as it moves through the air.

How does the launch angle affect the trajectory of a football?

The launch angle, or the angle at which the ball is kicked or thrown, greatly affects the trajectory of a football. A higher launch angle will result in a higher, shorter trajectory, while a lower launch angle will result in a lower, longer trajectory.

What role does air resistance play in the flight of a football?

Air resistance, also known as drag, plays a significant role in the flight of a football. As the ball moves through the air, it experiences resistance from the air molecules, which can slow it down and alter its trajectory.

How does the spin of a football affect its trajectory?

The spin of a football can greatly affect its trajectory. A ball with backspin will tend to rise and travel further, while a ball with topspin will tend to drop and travel a shorter distance. This is due to the Magnus effect, which is caused by the different air pressures on opposite sides of a spinning ball.

How can the principles of projectile motion be applied in football tactics?

The principles of projectile motion can be applied in football tactics to improve passing, shooting, and ball control. Understanding the effects of launch angle, spin, and air resistance can help players make more accurate and strategic plays on the field.