Why Is My Calculation of Acceleration Marked Wrong?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a block being pulled at a constant velocity of 6.7 m/sec with a force of 22.5 Newtons. The question prompts finding the acceleration and time for the block to stop if the pulling string breaks. The correct formula for acceleration is a = F/m and the direction of the force is important in determining the correct answer. The conversation concludes with the questioner figuring out the solution and thanking the expert for their help.
oooo
Here is a problem from our freshman physics homework--it seemed pretty simple and self-explanatory:
(refering to a diagram) 22.5 Newtons of force must be used to pull the 4 kg block across the rough surface at a constant velocity of 6.7 m/sec to the right. If the string pulling the block rightward were to break, what would be...
(a) the acceleration of the block:
Now, isn't the formula for acceleration a=F/m?
Wouldn't a = 22.5N/4kg = 5.625 m/s^2? It seems simple enough, yet it is marked wrong. If I made a silly mistake, I would like to know why, because it seems really easy and I don't know where I went wrong.
THEN, after that, it prompts me to find the time it would take for the block to stop. Not quite sure how to figure that out... any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
oooo said:
Wouldn't a = 22.5N/4kg = 5.625 m/s^2?

Nope. What is the direction of the force acting relative to the velocity of the block?
HINT: You are very close.

~H

Last edited:
ooh, so it is -5.625! Thanks!
OH! and about my time question, I thought about it some more and I figured it out (no need to help) but thanks though!

oooo said:
ooh, so it is -5.625! Thanks!

My pleasure.

~H

1. What is the relationship between force and acceleration?

The relationship between force and acceleration is described by Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. How does mass affect acceleration?

The mass of an object has an inverse relationship with its acceleration. This means that as mass increases, acceleration decreases, and vice versa. This is because a greater mass requires more force to accelerate the same amount as a smaller mass.

3. What is the unit of force and acceleration?

The unit of force is Newton (N), and the unit of acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s^2).

4. Can force and acceleration be in opposite directions?

Yes, force and acceleration can be in opposite directions. This can occur when an object is slowing down, or when a force is applied in the opposite direction of the object's motion.

5. How do friction and air resistance affect force and acceleration?

Friction and air resistance are both forces that act in the opposite direction of an object's motion, causing it to slow down. This means that they have a negative impact on force and acceleration, making it more difficult for an object to accelerate.